Ipad 3G reception versus Iphone 3G reception

Discussion in 'iPad' started by edjrwinnt, Aug 17, 2010.

1. edjrwinnt macrumors member

I'm looking at getting a 3G Ipad but my wife's Iphone 3G barely works at our house. Is the 3G reception better on the Ipad?

Thank you.

2. prot0type macrumors regular

Do you have a wifi network in your house?

Even if 3G reception is poor in your home, you can always switch to that.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

My iPad 3G gets better 3G reception than my iPhone 3GS does. I'm thinking they probably used a bigger 3G antenna in the iPad, since they have the room?

4. edjrwinnt thread starter macrumors member

I do not have internet service currently at my house. I finally had to dump Time Warner because they are horrible in my area. The only other option is DSL for $40 a month but I was hoping to just get by with the AT&T data plan on the Ipad.

5. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

It might be better no way to really compare unless you have access to some dbm scales on the iPod and iPhone and I haven't seen any apps for that (other than the iphones built in one). Best thing I can recommend is getting wifi or getting a signal booster, though the signal boosters can wreck havek on data rates even with full bars.

6. sempire macrumors member

If 3G sucks on your iphone it would suck just as much on your ipad.

7. edjrwinnt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Not to beat a dead horse but it's a shame that Apple is locked into AT & T. The crazy thing is that I'm only a 20 mile crow fly from a major city (Cleveland, Ohio), and my wife's Iphone is almost worthless at our house.

I may just go to the local Apple Store and express my concern and see what they say. I can always take it back I guess.

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

If T-Mobile is better by your house you can always go with them since the iPad is unlocked by default. Though you will only get EGPRS.

9. prot0type macrumors regular

Sucks to hear.

Well, not sure if it's viable, but have you considered going the Clear wimax route? Might be possible that their coverage may be better than AT&T. YMMV of course, but it might be another option.

10. Zcott macrumors 68020

Finding a fairly substantial different here. 5 bars on iPad, two bars on iPhone (which uses Apple's new bar-reporting method).

11. rogers106 macrumors member

I, too, am seeing 4-5 bars on my iPad when my iPhone is only getting 1-2.

I also brought the iPad out on a road trip this summer... the GPS is so much more accurate than the iPhone especially in city settings.

Just my two cents.

12. edjrwinnt thread starter macrumors member

Well I just did a speed test with my wife's 3G Iphone. Upstairs where she always got decent reception I got a speed of around 750 Kilobits per second. I'm getting 1-2 bars.

Downstairs on the couch where I would use the Ipad it's using the E Network and getting analog speeds. I'm using the speedtest.net app.