Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strom1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
NY
Are these speeds what I should expect? I'm a little disappointed!

I was trying to upload some pics today in the Kingston NY area and Photobucket kept on saying failed upload.:mad:

0fd3ac93.png

Strom1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
NY
So are those speeds common. I got the same results in the Nyack NY area?

Crazy question: Anything I could do within the device to increase these speeds?

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Yep. Generally speaking I get the same in my area in LA.
I started a thread about this awhile ago.
Every now and then I get faster.

I would post a screen capture but this POS iPad browser can't do that.

Strom1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
NY
Yep. Generally speaking I get the same in my area in LA.
I started a thread about this awhile ago.
Every now and then I get faster.

I would post a screen capture but this POS iPad browser can't do that.

Interesting. I wonder if anyone from the NY area could chime in with their speedtest results.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Interesting. I wonder if anyone from the NY area could chime in with their speedtest results.

I visit NYC, Nyack area 4 months out of the year. Always good service, perhaps you're just cacthing a bad day.

To the guy in LA, I live in Los Angeles the other 8 months of the year, in the Hollywood Hills and have around 2mb down constantly...

Don't know whats up with you guys

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
I visit NYC, Nyack area 4 months out of the year. Always good service, perhaps you're just cacthing a bad day.

To the guy in LA, I live in Los Angeles the other 8 months of the year, in the Hollywood Hills and have around 2mb down constantly...

Don't know whats up with you guys

I have a friend who lives ten Hollywood hills, and he can barely get a phone signal.
Ill post a picture of my various speed tests from my Android phone, as I can't do Italy from the iPad.

Strom1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
NY

I don't think its just a bad day. It's been consistent for the last week.

I called At&t and asked if there were any issues with their 3G service, based on my location. Their reply was everything was working properly and there was no issues at all.

I'm shocked that 3G service is this slow. It's basically unusable to upload pics .:mad:

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I have a friend who lives ten Hollywood hills, and he can barely get a phone signal.
Ill post a picture of my various speed tests from my Android phone, as I can't do Italy from the iPad.

What side of the hill? Valley or Hollywood side. It notorious that everyone i know gets bad signal from Vineland to Laurel Canyon on the valley side.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
What side of the hill? Valley or Hollywood side. It notorious that everyone i know gets bad signal from Vineland to Laurel Canyon on the valley side.

Up by the hollywood sign.
And receptions spotty all over the valley in my experience.

jasminblue

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Reviewers spent the weekend putting the new iPad Wi-Fi + 3G through its paces, with expected emphasis on the speed of the cellular data network. And while results so far have all been what you would expect - 3G throughput on an iPad is about the same as 3G throughput on an iPhone - most users seem to be reacting to the gulf between the speed of the iPad's CPU and the relative crawly-ness of a meg up and 100-200 kbps down. Somewhat more unexpected is the iPad's improved GPS reception and battery life. Reviewers spent the weekend putting the new iPad Wi-Fi + 3G through its paces, with expected emphasis on the speed of the cellular data network. And while results so far have all been what you would expect - 3G throughput on an iPad is about the same as 3G throughput on an iPhone - most users seem to be reacting to the gulf between the speed of the iPad's CPU and the relative crawly-ness of a meg up and 100-200 kbps down. Somewhat more unexpected is the iPad's improved GPS reception and battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.