iPad 3G stolen, block IMEI?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by inigel, Sep 16, 2010.

1. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

Some lowlife has stolen my iPad 3G. I have MobileMe and Find my iPad enabled on it but it doesn't seem to be online. I think they may have reformatted before I realised and tried to track/disable it.

Because it is the 3G version, am I able to get the IMEI blocked? Will Apple have to do that or will I need to call the 3G wireless carrier?

Cheers.

2. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

3. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Not necessarily true. European and many non-US operators actually have an idea how networks work and they will block an IMEI if it can be proven that the device was stolen. Contact your operator and see what they can do.

4. inigel thread starter macrumors regular

inigel

Cheers guys, I'm with Optus in Australia. I'll give them a call. The iPad will most likely be replaced, it's covered by my car insurance. I just don't want some jerkface using my precious.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

The carrier will do that, They will blacklist the IEMI so it doesn't get re-activated on that network (most carrier will do that) however, that doesn't stop the thief to unlock it and send it to another country. (or use it on another carrier on the same country that support the GSM frq), Unfortunately carrier won't blacklist the IEMI unless you are a customer.

6. sorchard macrumors regular

Depends on the country/continent, again.

The UK (for example) networks operate a central blacklist, where if a phone is blocked on one network, it's blocked on all.

Wouldn't be surprised if it is part of some European wide (or even wider) blacklist.

7. El Jack macrumors newbie

If you're intending to file an insurance claim for it a police report or similar wouldn't go amiss.

8. inigel thread starter macrumors regular

inigel

Filed police report as part of insurance claim. Also provided the serial, MAC and IMEI numbers.