iPad 3G unlock?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Semdk, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Semdk macrumors member

Hi, i live in Denmark, which is in Europe
    I wanted to buy an 3G iPad from the US, but wondered if the AT&T lock is removable? I spoke to Apple who said that it indeed is locked and not unlockable.
    So will i have to jailbreake the iPad to unlock it?
    Will there overall be a jailbreak for the iPad?
    How easy will it be jailbreaking and unlocking it?
    Would i have to jailbreake and unlock it each time there's a new update out?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Didn't Jobs specifically state at the introduction that the iPad 3G was unlocked?

3. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

It's already unlocked...you just need to find a carrier that uses micro-sim cards. ;)

4. Semdk thread starter macrumors member

I've found a carrier with the micro sim, but when i called up apple asking if i could use the iPad 3G in Denmark he said no, because it locked with AT&T.

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Steve Jobs said specifically that it IS UNLOCKED.

6. sayerle macrumors newbie

iPAD 3G unlock

Apple tecnical support do not know what they are talking about since they haven't got the technical info on the iPAD 3G yet. I was told it was locked by AppleCare & I challenged them through what Steve Jobs said in January & the guy admitted he didn't really know. He told me to call back at the weekend once it's launched since they'll have the technical info on the product then.

Bottom line - Steve Jobs made a big deal of the fact it was unlocked in January so I expect it is unlocked....

7. sayerle macrumors newbie

8. sayerle macrumors newbie

iPAD 3G unlocked

and I just spoke with AppleCare, who told me it is UNLOCKED!!!!! Yipee! They finally have the right info on launch day!

So, all you need to do is get the UK microsim card, pop out the AT&T & pop in the Orange or whatever microsim card, & you have a UK iPAD!!

9. marklu98 macrumors newbie

not locked!!! my Ipad 3g works fine on Bell network!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

You can always cut a regular standard sim card to be a micro sm.

11. kidbess macrumors newbie

3g Ipad in Denmark

Ill be travelling to denmark next week. were you able to find a carrier to enable the use of your ipad 3g there?
    hoping you can help me find a solution!

thanks!

12. EasyJW macrumors member

In the Keynote steve said it was unlocked, so anything will work, and if you can't find a microsim deal... MAKE YOUR OWN haha, google it, there are loads of guides and all you need is a knife

13. Semdk thread starter macrumors member

Well, it isn't hard finding a carrier offering a 3G service (3, Telia, TDC, Telenor, Oister, & Bibob), but Bibob has promised offering a Micro-Sim before iPad launch - meaning soon. But as noted above, you could easily cut a Mini-sim (a normal sim card) into a Micro-sim (iPad sim card), since the extra size is just more plastic

14. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I'm in a similar situation - so I just ask in here before starting a new thread.
    The only difference is that I want to get the US iPad 3G to work in Germany.

I honestly don't know anything about the whole 3G stuff.

If I can find a micro SIM card provider in Germany, I could happily use it over there?
    No difference in frequencies, legal problems or anything like that?