iPad 3G+Verizon MIFI

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jmsy, Oct 16, 2010.

1. jmsy macrumors newbie

jmsy

With AT&T and iPad 3G+WIFI it seems simple to start a 3G plan and also to stop it, just a few clicks in iPad settings. I am wondering how this will be handled with the Verizon WIFI. I have read about starting an account with a regular plan with the VerizonMIFI and it is far from simple. http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_set_up_configure_verizon_mifi2200_device.html
    Surly there will be a simpler way through iPad setting. Any Ideas? Has anyone had any problems setting up and activating a MIFI?

2. jmsy thread starter macrumors newbie

jmsy

Made a mistake

The thread is suppost to be
    iPad wi-fi +Verizon mifi.

3. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Having a MiFi is like having a phone, it is still under contract and subject to an early termination fee.

4. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

not when you buy it with the ipad from V then there is no contract

5. LadyHoneyBabe macrumors 6502

Is there a GPS chip in the iPads Verizon is selling?

6. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

nope, its just the wifi ipad

7. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I am guessing it is going to be similar to how Virgin Mobile handles their prepaid mifi which was very simple. All I had to do was turn on the mifi, connect to the wifi network transmitted by the mifi, go to the url for the mifi settings (for virgin mobile it was virginmobile.mifi ... probably be something similar for verizon), activate it, and then from there I had a link to "My Account" and when I clicked on that, I was able to sign up for data and I could pick whatever data pack I wanted and if I wanted recurring or one time only.

My guess is that when you get the iPad from verizon, they will set up the mifi for you and starting and stopping data will just be going to a website (which should be able to be accessed even if you have no data left) to start and stop.

I just don't see Verizon handling it differently for their no contract mifi.

8. LadyHoneyBabe macrumors 6502

Interesting because I saw an article where pricing is the same as the 3G iPads ($629, $729, $829). I guess the $130 bucks is going towards the MiFi and no GPS.

9. nosser macrumors regular

yes the $130 is for the mifi device and is the no contract price. They'll have a plan for 1gb/$20

10. Management macrumors member

No gps chip in wifi only ipads? Even from AT&T? Google maps works great for me. I wonder how they are finding me in the app then.

11. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Quote from ifixit teardown.

"It's important to note that the Broadcom A-GPS package is on the communications board, explaining why the Wi-Fi-only iPad does not have GPS."

I can't find where AT&T is selling the wifi only model and not sure why they would be.

12. forceofnature macrumors newbie

Apparently there is a way to use the GPS from the MiFi device in a wifi only iPad. Can't remember where read that

13. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet