iPad 3G versus iPhone 4 3G speedtest

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ibosie, Sep 14, 2010.

1. ibosie macrumors 6502

ibosie

Hi,

Is your iPhone's 3G Internet speed much faster than your iPad on the same network in the same location?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

Nope. Side by side. My iPad 3G gets better speeds than my iPhone 4. Loads full webpages faster by at least 10-15%.

3. ibosie thread starter macrumors 6502

ibosie

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out whether the ISP (O2 in my case) provides an inferior iPad network to the iPhone. In your case are the APNs different for each device?

4. gatearray macrumors 65816

Not sure about the "nope" above, but the iPhone 4 indeed has a vastly superior (and completely different) 3G radio chip in it, and your speed tests reflect this fact accurately.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I just tried my iPad 3G 64GB and iPhone 3GS 32GB side by side.

iPad --> 0.69Mbps / 0.197Mbps

iPhone --> 3.30Mbps / 0.46Mbps

Looks like in my case, the iPhone is much faster.

BTW, I used SpeedTest.net for my test on both devices.

6. T4R06 macrumors 65816

7. ibosie thread starter macrumors 6502

ibosie

These were my initial thoughts too but I didn't find confirmation of it. Thanks for letting me know.

8. ibosie thread starter macrumors 6502

ibosie

Starting to make sense, thanks for the test.

9. neonmd macrumors member

Download about the same.
    Upload much faster on the iPhone 4.

10. guinanji macrumors newbie

Speedtest iPad 3G vs iPhone 4

I noticed that everyone who did the comparison using Speedtest got the same results as me.

iPhone 4 3G - 3.0 mps
    iPad 2 3G - 1.0 mps

I ran this test a few times. I've noticed that no one that said there is no difference tested it with any app like Speedtest, but just went by "page loaded speed". Try the test with an app that actually gives the upload and download speed connection and then run it a few times.
    Let me guess, the difference in speed simply has to do with AT&T throttling down iPad connection speeds since otherwise all the new iPads would add even more of an overload to their current 3G networks. It's not the iPad's hardware that's to blame. If this continues, I'd rather just hassle with an iPhone 4 jailbreak and then install a wi-fi hotspot app and use that as my 3G connection for my iPad. I'm not paying an EXTRA $25 a month, on top of my $40 a month for my iPhone 4 data plan, for a SLOW iPad 3G connection. Come on!

11. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

Maybe the difference is that the iphone 4 (sans grip of death) gets better reception then the ipad in marginal areas, and thus gets higher speeds in those areas.

For those lucky enough to be near a cellular tower, there is less or no difference in speed between iphone and ipad?