iPad 3G vs. ATT Tethering

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by wclyffe, Apr 15, 2010.

1. wclyffe macrumors member

Any guesses on when ATT will actually offer tethering? And will they offer an "On/Off" situation like they are doing for the iPad 3G? If so, it may make sense to just tether with the iPhone on the few times a 3G connection is needed.

I ordered and own an iPad (obviously wifi version) and I really have no need for using it out on the street as it's strictly a home or office deal for me. My thinking was I always have my iPhone if I want to look anything up or navigate somewhere (Navigon) while traveling. Just planning ahead....

2. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

i would love it if they would actually allow it and make it possible without jailbreaking but I don't foresee it happening.

3. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

I doubt tethering will happen. I understand they wouldn't want to allow tethering to a computer, but it would have been nice to somehow allow the iPad WiFi only to tether to an existing iPhone somehow.

4. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

When and if ATT allows tethering, it will probably be via bluetooth or USB only. If tethering were allowed via WiFi, then the iPad could be tethered. Neither Apple nor ATT want this as it would hurt sales of the iPad 3G. After all, I'd guess that the majority of iPad owners are also iPhone owners as well. Apple can easily control tethering via bluetooth and USB, but cannot control WiFi tethering as any device that acts like an access point can be used. If you want to tether the iPad to your iPhone, you're going to have to jailbreak.

5. Cander macrumors 6502

I am seriously considering switching to the HTC Evo 4G and the ad hoc WiFi for 8 devices and just using that with my WiFi iPad. Apple would really need to wow me with a new iPhone, but as much as I am using my iPad now, I wonder if it is really necessary for me to have both an iPhone and an iPad.

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I think it's doubtful that AT&T tethering will surface as well for a number of reasons. I came across an a short time ago that addresses this and brings the iPad into the mix.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2809454/apple_iphone_tethering.html?cat=15

7. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Frankly, I don't buy AT&T's statement that allowing iPhone tethering will crush their network.

1) Why is tethering through an iPhone (and mind you, PAYING extra for that option) any different than tethering through any of their other smartphones or normal phones? They let you (pay for) tethering through all their other phones, why not the iphone?

2) How is tethering through the iPhone (again, and paying extra on top of my normal iPhone data plan to do it) ANY different than them selling me a 3G USB dongle for my laptop and paying for that data plan? Again, if I'm having to pay for both, why CAN'T I use it?

Frankly, it's all BS. AT&T just wants to be able to lock you into a 2nd contract scenario so they can charge you extra every month. It has NOTHING to do with network stability / load. If it did, then they wouldn't be perfectly willing to sell you devices for your laptop with data plans to do the exact same thing.

People are quickly going to wake up and realize that if you're paying for data connection bandwidth, why should it matter which devices you're hooking to the network to do it? So long as you stay within your limit every month, you shouldn't have to pay for multiple service plans just because you want to use multiple devices. DATA IS DATA!!! This is no different than hooking up a router to connect all the devices in your home LAN to your Cable/DSL connection.....

AT&T needs to get their heads out of their BUTTS and get with reality!

Frankly, the second another carrier like Verizon gets the ability to host Apple products, AT&T is screwed - competition is GOOD for the consumer, and usually BAD for the companies that don't have a competitive product.

8. wclyffe thread starter macrumors member

iPad 3G vs. ATT Tethering

Thanks everyone. I learned a lot, and it's too bad AT&T isn't living up to their word to offer tethering. Like I said in my earlier post, I'm not a customer that really wants to use my iPad in the car or out at a coffee shop (and most of them have wifi anyway), but there may be the unusual, unplanned time that I didn't count on. Is it worth the $130 3G version plus $15 for me when I already have an iPhone to do the same thing...No, but it may for other users with different data habits. Ironically, I was one of the lucky few that got a copy of Netshare, but I don't think there's a way to make use of it with the iPad.

9. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Why isn't there? Correct me if I'm wrong (I missed the Netshare thing by a matter of hours) but I though that just turned your iPhone into a Wifi hotspot? If so, the iPad wouldn't know the difference. It's just connecting to a Wifi connection....

Give it a try on your iPhone. I bet you'll find it works.

10. TheXIIIth macrumors member

T-Mobile has sort of done the same thing with the HTC HD2. They removed the option that enables the HD2 to be used as a mobile WiFi device prior to launching it over here in the States. :mad:

No big deal though as there is a free app over at the xda developers forums that brings the WiFi functionality back to this mobile phone.

11. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

I totally agree with everything you said except the Verizon thing. In light of the increased speed of AT&T's network, Verizon is very slow (average 700kbp download). AT&T is increaseing to 7.2mbp. During the past few months I've noticed a large increase in speed. Can't give you the figures but I can see the difference in the time it takes to load websites, etc. Additionally, Verizon's rates are much higher. If I really need the internet that bad and I'm not around a WiFi hot spot I'll just use the iPhone. Oh, and then there is that darn cancellation fee:mad:. My wife recently received her "free" (my butt) generic phone and a new 2 year contract. The EVO looks nice but I'm not yet willing to give up or jailbreak the iPhone.

12. wclyffe thread starter macrumors member

The way Netshare works requires you to input information in your computer setting up a SOCKS network. The iPhone then finds that network (via Netshare) and your computer can then use the 3G connection of the phone. With the iPad, there is no way to input that information.

13. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Well, I was just using Verizon as an example. The fact is, a LOT of people HATE AT&T, and there are large portions of the population that AT&T doesn't cover with 3G (or in the case of me, here in my office (AKA, the faraday cage) Verizon works great, AT&T barely gives any signal at all.)

All I'm saying is that choice will cause some percentage of the population to leave AT&T for other providers and will force AT&T to do a better job if they want to keep all of the subscribers they've picked up from the iPhone.

It STILL annoys me that I have to carry around a 3G USB dongle to connect my Macbook when I have an iPhone that is hardware capable of doing the EXACT same thing, and I'm already paying for a data plan on it!

14. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Ah, gotchya... Like I said, I missed out on that one (as did most people.) THANKS AT&T + APPLE!!! NOT.

15. theman510 macrumors 6502

Jailbroken here. Using MyWi and love it. Works flawlessly. I couldn't imagine paying an extra $360 per year for unlimited 3G for my ipad.

16. frankjl macrumors regular

I tried out the mywi app on my wife's iphone. Holy **** why would anybody with an iphone not consider that route is beyond me.

Speed was on point. I used my ipad as navigation browsing online was fast.

If I did not have my nexus one using the wifi tether i would so be on the mywi.
    It worked better then my android tethering.

The 3g option is such a waste of money when your already caryying a phone.
    Specially now a days when a high percent of the population have a tethering capable device in their pocket.

I love exercising my options specially when it comes to saving money :)

17. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I've got a good reason. I have a fully updated 3GS, and therefore cannot jailbreak. (Yet) I'd like to give MyWi a try.

18. robd54 macrumors member

Same here, I keep checking to see if a new jailbreak came out for a fully updated 3GS...dying to try MyWi!!

19. wclyffe thread starter macrumors member

I'm in the same position...fully updated 3Gs, so there is no choice at the moment, but its tempting given all the discussion in this forum.

20. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

I had a jailbroken 1st gen iPod touch and loved it. When I sold it in favor of my iPhone 3G I never jailbroke it because I was a little scared I guess because I can't really take the chance of NOT having a phone.

I'm seriously reconsidering that decision for the benefit of my iPad which I love dearly. NO WAY I'm paying AT&T MORE money for internet than I already am.

Is the jailbreak process a little more streamlined than it was 1 1/2 years ago?

21. Love Juice macrumors regular

Same here. Tested out MyWi on my iPad tethered to my 3GS and was impressed with the speed. App said I was getting atround 840kbps ...did a speed test and the results came back at 639kbps :))

22. wclyffe thread starter macrumors member

I assume there is no way to jailbreak a 3Gs running the most recent software update (v.3.1.3) at the moment?

23. pkdoyle macrumors member

Latest 3Gs (meaning bootrom starting with 'MB') w/ 3.1.3 has not been jailbroken. Or rather no jailbrake has been released....yet. I am in the same boat as you.

For me, one of 3 things is going to happen this summer:
    1) I will have a jail-broken iPhone, or
    2) Verizon will get the iPhone, allow tethering, and I will switch from ATT
    3) I will jump to Sprint when the EVO 4G comes out.

24. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

The problem with tetherting is it will degrade the battery life. Everyone i know who has JB their iphone and uses mywi and such has very little battery life. In fact the battery degrades while they are charging the phone.

IMO i would rather have better battery life and no tethering than tethering at all

25. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

It couldn't be easier. I thought it was pretty simple a year and a half ago though too. iClarified.com has everything you need.

Oh and MyWi is great though it's still a touch buggy. I'm using it now.