iPad 3G vs iPhone 3GS Network Speeds

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DetroitBORG, May 5, 2010.

1. DetroitBORG macrumors regular

I just did a Wi-Fi and 3G speedtest between my iPhone 3GS and iPad 3G and got some interesting results. The 3G performance is slight better on the iPad (and reception is substantially better as well). What was surprising is to see just how much faster Wi-Fi is on the iPad vs the iPhone.

Check out the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98_SsxaeJqg

2. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

When I was running tests with the Sprint 4G Overdrive mobile hotspot, the iPad clocked a best average of 4500Kbps while the iPhone 3GS only managed 1900Kbps. On the other hand, during the same session, I saw 6500Kbps on the MacBook Pro.

I observed a similar gap between the iPhone and iPad when testing the 4G Clear Spot.

BTW, The Clear Spot is faster on downloads than the Overdrive but the Overdrive is faster on uploads. The Overdrive is smaller, lighter, and has a longer battery life but the Clear Spot is lower in monthly unlimited service cost. One more thing. The Overdrive has its own GPS which can be accessed through Safari on the iPad. Both moblie hotspots give the "WiFi only" iPad a faster wireless mobile broadband option than the iPad "+3G" -- assuming you have 4G service in your region.