iPad 3G without service... does GPS work?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Billy Boo Bob, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Billy Boo Bob macrumors 6502

Billy Boo Bob

If I were to get an iPad 3G, but not activate 3G (live nowhere near 3G service and don't necessarily want to pay the same for Edge), will the GPS still work (although not assisted by towers, I presume)? I'm more interested in the GPS/Compass/etc that a non-3G unit is missing than the 3G service itself. I'm usually around WiFi.

2. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

The GPS and Compass functions of the unit will work fine without 3G service.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

The GPS chip is just part of the equation. Without the 3G you can't load maps to see where you are. You can purchase stand-alone GPS apps which load the maps onto the iPad but otherwise, without maps what's the point of GPS?

4. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

There are several apps and jailbreak hacks that let you cache maps onto your iPad.

and I guess technically you could be in a place where there is no cell coverage but still have wifi/internet access. Like a vacation home with a satellite connection. The GPS will still work as long as you have line of sight to the sky.

5. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

The Compass will function at 100%.

The GPS will function at 100% if you have some other access to the internet - (WiFi, tethered cell phone, MyFi 3G or 4G device, etc.)

The GPS will function with some limitations if you have no internet. If your software uses just Lat./Long. then it will work perfectly. (The iPhone's camera for example will record lat/long for each picture taken, even if there is no internet.) Some GPS mapping/turn-by-turn software will work if the street maps are preloaded into the iPad rather than read in real time. You need to check the software you're planning on buying.

6. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Or my street -- which doesn't even have AT&T voice, let alone Edge or 3G... And I live not too far outside of Boston.

7. Billy Boo Bob thread starter macrumors 6502

Billy Boo Bob

Cool. I get the picture. When it comes time to actually get it I'll look deeper into the pre-load maps/apps. And I'm not afraid of jailbreaking, either, for the additional options. Did it with the phone all the time.