iPad iPad (3rd Gen) Bad Battery?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WhiteIphone5, Nov 16, 2012.

1. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

hey guys, bought an iPad on ebay. I have been using it for a while now (2) days. The seller did not provided the 10 watt charging, so i turned wifi off my ipad and let it charge through the night with my iphone charger (cube) not usb cable and every time i plug in my iPad with my mac it doesnt detect it, so i unplug the usb cable like 5 times until it says Charging..
    Also when i connect to the iPhone's charger, it doesnt detect it so i have to unplug and re-plug. there are times where it picks it up right when i plug it in.
    is this an issue with iOS6 or should i take it to the Apple Store?

2. Joey51 macrumors newbie

You need to get a 10 or 12 watt charger

I have had 2 ipad 3's and it will take you probably 12 hrs or more to charge your ipad if it will charge at all.
    My 3's will take about 5-7 hrs on a 10 watt charger,an hr less on the 12watt

The battery is huge and the 5watt or a usb connection to a computer just will not do it
    Go get a bigger charger and try it
    If it is a bad battery the 3 is under warranty,just take it to apple store,they will exchange it for you

3. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

as far as i told u about the iphone charger SOMETIMES detecting the ipad, so i have to replug for about 3-5 times until it starts charging. does that seem normal?

4. Joey51 macrumors newbie

Cable good

Could be bad cable
    Is there a apple store near you?
    Just take ipad to apple store-3's are still under warranty and have them check,it will not cost you anything.
    Ifit is bad they hand you a new one or refurb-as good as new.
    If good pick up a 12 watt charger while your there

5. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

1. tried both iphone usb cables.
    i guess i could try going since its still under warranty.
    12 watt? aint the ipad charger 10 watt?

6. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

None of the devices you're trying to charge from are designed to feed the 10W that the iPad 3 is expecting/wanting. So I'd try to get an actual iPad charger first, before you worry about a next step.

And the 12W charger is the "new" one, which will just charge it a little faster than the "old" 10W charger.

Clint

7. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

i totally undestand but, have you ever tried connecting to a iphone charger? did it pick it right up? even if iphone charger is not enough to power ipad im sure it would at least detect it right?

8. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I just plugged my iPad 3 into my iPhone 5 charger, and it started up right away, same as when it was plugged into my iPad 3 charger. Said it was charging, as well. Don't know if that's the same as with an iPhone 4 charger (that's down in my truck).

Plugged it into my MacBook Pro. It started up again, but said "Not Charging" on the battery level. This makes sense, as it has to turn on and be recognized to sync with my laptop.

How dead was your battery? Like, if you try to turn it on, what happens? I'm thinking that if your battery is absolutely dead, it might not start up until it gets a charge first. Which it might not be able to do with the wrong charging device.

Clint

9. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

it was never dead, got it with 70% charger. used it until 2% then it turned off. i plugged into outlet (iphone 4 charger) and left it over night, woke up 100%. but sometimes when i plug it in it, the ipad does not recognize it, same goes for imac sometimes. so i have to unplug an re-plug about 4-5 times.

10. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

just plugged in the ipad onto different outlets and tried different cables, everything seems fine. will update as i use it
    thanks everyone