iPad 3rd Gen completely shut down?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by keogh, Dec 4, 2012.

1. keogh macrumors member

keogh

Howdy All,

I have my iPad 3rd Gen on all the time (like we all do) and usually I life my smart cover and she is on and ready to go.

This time I open the smart cover and nothing, ok fine I think, I'll power her up she must have gone down for some reason, I hold the power button and nothing. I could not get it to boot up at all.

So I had to hold the Home button and Sleep button together for a few seconds and she sprung back in to life.

This has never happened before. Usually holding the sleep button alone will bring her back to life, but that did nothing this time and I had to hold the home and sleep button to get it to work.

The iPad 100% had 50%+ battery life when it died so it wasn't that, any idea what it could have been? Why would it go down like that? I also know it had enough battery, cos after getting her booted she had 75% battery, so it wasn't the battery.

Any ideas? Don't want it to continue happening whilst in warranty.

any help appreciated

2. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I never leave my iPad 1st Gen on all the time. I bought it the first week they became available and I have never had any problems!

3. keogh thread starter macrumors member

keogh

What you actually power it down (hold the sleep button and slide turn off) often? How often do you do that?

4. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I am retired and use the iPad from the time I wake up until I go to sleep. When I am not using an app I remove it from the multi-tasking bar and I power down at the end of the day. During the day I just put it to sleep.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It sounds like your iPad had a system crash, and what you did with holding down both power and home is like rebooting a computer. If it's working normally now, I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens frequently (like more than once a week), I'd call Apple support or take it to a Genius Bar.