Ipad (3rd Gen) Does indeed run hotter (10 degree's)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ElZeus, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

2. Kainz macrumors member

Not sure why people are surprised. The internal battery is twice the size of the iPad 2 battery. You can't have that and not have the same thermal output. Let's not forget a quad core gpu.

People really are expecting miracles these days.

3. homeboy macrumors 6502

Remember that's ten degrees farenheit and not celcius.

However my iPad 3 is noticably warmer than my iPad 2, mosthly at the blower back.

4. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Either way, it is not insulated. Look at the thing, no fan and it is enclosed in a think aluminum case, as with all tablets. With or without a case may not make the difference.

5. ElZeus thread starter macrumors regular

It seems there's not much that can be done about it either. A bigger thermal pad wouldn't help, they aren't going to redesign the inside. If it isn't the screen, then panels from sharp or lg won't help. That leaves a die shrink in future models to bring it back down to ipad 1/2 levels.

It will also be interesting to see what happens with a potential 7 inch model with even less space to work with.

6. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

7. alFR macrumors 68020

As long as it doesn't fry the chips in the logic board or your hand (which based on the temp readings given in the linked article it won't, since it's still at less than body temperature), who cares? :confused:

8. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

It doesn't matter if it runs hotter than the iPad 2, that doesn't mean it's running TOO hot. The back casing gets to 33.6degC according to that article, that's not very hot at all, all things considered. The fact the back case is made out of aluminium means the heat of the internals is being effectively conducted away from the internals which is a good thing.

Just because the new iPad runs hotter than the iPad 2 does not mean it's bad. As long as it's within specification and isn't negatively affecting the internals than it really doesn't matter.

I am quite sure that Apple has done very extensive testing on the device (as I am sure they are legally required to do, especially given the large battery) and found it to be fine.

Relax people.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Keep in perspective that WE run hotter than the iPad.:eek::D

10. seadragon Contributor

Does it contribute to global warming and is there an app the that?

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Yeah, with sample of 1 that seems reasonable to conclude with over 3 million circulating users hands.

Although, it wouldn't be that surprising, considering it is still on a 45 nm lithography and have an SGX543MP4 in it.

12. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

The article also didn't say at what brightness level they ran the iPad. From all indications on this forum, the iPad doesn't heat up if brightness is at 50% or less.

13. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It's five degrees warmer than the iPad 2? My iPhone 4S hits 35c easily when gaming, and I don't mind it at all.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1. Unlike plastic, aluminum is not an insulator, it conducts heat, very well.
    2. it's not thick.

15. LanEvo macrumors 6502

I meant to say thin, apple autocorrect...

16. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

Consumer Reports has found that the new iPad is hitting 116 degrees - 13 degrees hotter than the iPad 2 - while running games.

17. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

****in magnets, how do they work?

18. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

That's odd. I haven't noticed any difference heat-wise from the iPad2 I just sold. Maybe only certain random iPad 3's are having this issue.

19. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Apple recommends not using the iPad in >95* temps.

20. avalys macrumors 6502

So it runs 10 degrees hotter. I don't have a hard time believing that, the screen and GPU take more power. But why does anyone care?

21. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

The iPad reached 116 degrees in a 72 degree room.

22. Kainz macrumors member

Lol damn you got me on that! ;)