iPad 3rd Gen Issue

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by andysunny, Sep 4, 2014.

1. andysunny, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

andysunny macrumors newbie

It’s the new iPad (iPad 3rd Gen) and is 2 years old and was in perfect shape even before a month. One day I noticed that the battery was at 20% and I didn’t charge even then. Now after 3-4 more days I find it as switched off. Plugged in the wall charger and it booted up. But the battery percentage was at 92% and the charge full indicator was on (that plug symbol inside the battery icon). Upon detaching the wall charger, the iPad just shuts off and then the red battery indicator comes up while powered off. It starts to reboot and shuts off a minute or two after reaching the homescreen. The battery doesn’t take charge (tried for a whole night) and it just shuts off completely when the wall charger is detached (Nothing happens whatever button combination I try).
    Note: Running iOS 6.0.1, Don’t want to upgrade iOS at all.
    Any suggestions apart from taking it to those moneysuckers?

PS: It was running for 7-8 hours on a single charge just before this. Can the battery health deteriorate so quick?

+ Attached the red battery screen on plugging in.
    + It shuts off momentarily if the brightness slider is moved up.

Attached Files:

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

Are you using the official Apple iPad 3 wall charger? If so do you have access to another charger to see if the charger is faulty? How does the charging cable look? Is it frayed? Do you have access to another cable?

Are you charging it from the wall receptacle? If so are you plugging the wall charger in a power strip surge protector? If so plug the charger directly into a wall outlet. You might want to try another receptacle. ;)

Lastly, you might want to try a hardware reset (hold power+home buttons) till you see the iPad 3 reboot.

Yeah batteries do go bad but typically after being subjected to excessive heat temperatures. Have you checked how many battery cycles are on your iPad 3?

Btw, IIRC Apple charges about $100 for a battery replacement but I believe you'll get a refurb from them with iOS 7. I still have iOS 5 on my iPad 3 and it's staying that way.

3. andysunny thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it's the charger that came in the original packaging. It looks pretty good, no sign of wear and tear anywhere. I have another cable, will try that.

I am putting it directly into the wall outlet. Tried quite a few.

The power+home button combo only does have an effect when wall charger plugged in. It reboots and the battery shows full. Suddenly the iPad shuts down automatically and the red indicator with big battery pops up.

So Full Battery when powered on and Minimum battery with red indicator when off..quite strange.

My iPad lies around the modem, though at a distance. I checked and it's not at all warm at my ipad's resting place.

BTW, could you tell how to check battery cycles on iPad 3. I also want to mention here that now the wifi button remains grayed out and the bluetooth button shows that rotating graphic (Started with this issue). So, no way to connect to the internet.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

The wifi issue you are having maybe related to the battery issue as well. The battery may not have enough power to turn on that part of the circuitry. It sure is sounding like you are having a battery problem/failure.

One thing you could try is to backup your iPad via iTune and reset and erase the entire iPad 3 then restore via iTunes. If none of the above helps you might want to make an appointment at an Apple Store to have them look at it. I would feel better about trying another ac charging adapter or plugging into a Mac or USB 3.0 charging port on a computer to see if it properly charges before saying the battery is definitely bad.

Re: the cycles there is a program you can download for free that displays the battery charge cycles.

http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm

5. andysunny thread starter macrumors newbie

It can't be backed up as it just shuts off when the wall charger is unplugged. It stays dead when connected to pc via usb. So, Restoring isn't a possibility. I have tried with usb 3.0 also, but when the 10 watt charger fails to charge, the usb can do very little. It's dead like brick with no sign of life. :(

6. andysunny thread starter macrumors newbie

I am getting mad scouring the web about this issue. There are numerous reported cases dating back to 2010 with original iPad and no authorized resolution offered till date. Every store visit mentions, the only solution offered is exchange for a whopping $250 or so. It's hard to believe such a glitch remains unaddressed with each iterations. Apple's own discussion board is flooding with this!
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2462356?start=0&tstart=0 (Not sure whether we can share outside links, if not permitted here, please remove)

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

You'll need either a Mac or a PC with a USB 3.0 port that has enough power to charge an iPad. As it appears you don't have any of the above my only 2 suggestions are:

1) Find another Apple wall charger

2) Contact your nearest Apple Store to have them look at it to see if the battery has failed.

Here in the US it's only $99 plus $7 for shipping. *Call in your area and ask them what the price is to replace the battery.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacement-and-recycling/

8. andysunny thread starter macrumors newbie

Rodster, I got what you suggested and would like to tell you, it didn't work. Though I'm not sure about what you meant by 'as it appears you don't have any of the above'.
    Plugging in with a wall charger restarts the device and it stays on for around 3 minutes. Then it again reboots, like it has been stuck in an endless loop.

9. andysunny thread starter macrumors newbie

Diagnostics--ResetCounter.plist log

Update:
    I checked the diagnostics. One sample log, ResetCounter-1970-01-01-053143.plist shows the following:

Incident Identifier: Some random alpha-numeric seperated by -
    CrashReporter Key: Some random alpha-numeric
    Date: 1970-01-01 05:31:43 +0530
    Reset count: 0
    Boot failure count: 1/ 2 (maximum entry is 1)
    Boot faults: rst vdd_under
    Boot stage: 255/ 48/ 80/ 32 (these are the values from the different plists combined, maximum entry is of 255)
    Boot app: 0

There are several ResetCounter-1970-01-01-timestamp.plist files in the diagnostics menu.