Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
whats that ballpark value of a 100% 3rd gen 64 bit ATT GSM ipad?

I don't know what 100% means, that it's 100% authentic Apple? I'd hope so.
The 3rd gen isn't 64bit. It's only 32bit.

A 16GB variant from Apple will run you $409 with new battery and 1yr warranty. I wouldn't pay more than 250-300 used with no warranty and who knows how many cycles on battery.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I don't know what 100% means, that it's 100% authentic Apple? I'd hope so.
The 3rd gen isn't 64bit. It's only 32bit.

A 16GB variant from Apple will run you $409 with new battery and 1yr warranty. I wouldn't pay more than 250-300 used with no warranty and who knows how many cycles on battery.

I think they meant 64GB.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
100% is condition. 64 should have read gig, my bad. im gonna start it on craiglist at $550 with the smart cover

sovereign

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
I had my 3rd Gen 64gb Verizon LTE listed on CL starting a couple of months ago. I priced it at $495, which would include an Apple leather Smart Cover, Waterfield Designs sleeve, and a Camera Connection Kit, box and all original materials. Basically, close to $1k at list prices when new, and I only received a couple of offers at $400. I'll keep it for that...

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
$400 maybe $450. Not sure if you can get more on eBay. Apple stuff doesn't hold much resale value anymore, especially at the high ends.

This is because so many people have them now and many people upgrade more often than they used to, which means there's a ton more second hand Apple gear on the market than there used to be even 2 or 3 years ago.

If your strategy is to upgrade each time I would stick with the base models. They typically lose a lot less value percentage wise.

Example: you may lose 30% or 40% on a base model depending on how old it is, but a $100 storage upgrade gets you an extra $20 (80% loss), a 3G upgrade gets you maybe $30 more (75% loss), etc. and the higher up you go the worse the losses get.

AppleCare is also not much of a value add to most people looking for a deal on Craigslist and I doubt it would add more than $10 to the resale price (90% loss). Almost better off canceling it and getting a partial refund from Apple.

Also prices plummet when a new one is announced since everyone is trying to dump theirs and typically recover slightly (but not to same previous highs) a couple months later as supply goes back down for that model.

This is all based on my observations and experience buying and selling on Craigslist, through friends, etc.

Edit: I just sold my 32GB Verizon for around $350 and I was lucky to get it. Had it up for over a week on Craigslist in Chicago where there's a ton of people and I had only 2 offers, the one I took and a low ball offer, and a couple people wanting a trade for some other stuff I didn't need. Not like 2 years ago when I posted my original iPad for sale and got an email box full of reasonable offers.

I just wonder when people will officially stop believing/perpetuating the myth that Apple stuff is easy to unload without heavy losses. Maybe in another 2 years at which point the trajectory will match other products I guess (Apple is still higher than others at resale but the gap is closing fast).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.