iPad iPad 3rd Generation Not Charging

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Snoosedaddy, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Snoosedaddy macrumors regular

So one of my kids thought it would be a good idea to stick the 30 pin connector in her mouth, followed by my other kid sticking the connector into the charging port on the iPad. Now, my iPad will not charge. I opened it up, since out of contract, and looked for "smoking" on the connector port of the iPad, everything looked good I guess. My next thought is maybe something shorted out. Could the battery have gone bad from this? The iPad is completely dead, although when I plug the charge cable in, the battery symbol comes up for about 5 seconds then goes away. Any help would be appreciated.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you're getting the low battery signal when you plug it in, then that means it's getting something, but the battery is so low that it can't stay powered on just yet.

I would first look for a new cable. Then, plug it in and let it sit for 10 minutes, of course watching it carefully and making sure it's not getting too hot or anything. Unplug it at the first sign of trouble. But if all goes well, after about 10 minutes, it should be sufficiently charged to power up again.

3. Snoosedaddy thread starter macrumors regular

New cable didn't work. Decided to rip it open and scrape the contacts on the charge port. I eventually got it to charge, but definitely need a new charge port. Found one online for $8. Better than what apple offered me. They wanted to do a full swap, and I pay $300.