iPad 3S or iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yr Blues, Oct 16, 2012.

?

iPad 3S or iPad mini?

1. iPad 3S

65.6%
  2. iPad mini

34.4%
  1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I can't get over the retina issue, so I'm hoping they do a slight 9.7" iPad revision. Lightning connector, lighter, thinner.

2. Yr Blues, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

You can't get over what retina issue? Nothing has been released yet. Worry about important stuff.

4. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

Not having a retina quality display. That's been an oft-quoted rumor. A rumor nonetheless.

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Not retina, but still an improvement over iPad2.

326 iPhone 4/5
    264 iPad 3
    220 MacBook
    163 iPad Mini*
    132 iPad 2

* (assuming it is 7.85", 4:3, 1024x768)

Retina is certainly possible for iPad Mini, as it would be 326 DPI, which is an existing screen technology used for iPhones. LCD panels are made in huge sheets, where then cuts are made for the size of the individual devices. So basically Apple could just use the same sheets cut to iPad Mini size.

Still, possible or not, I doubt it will be retina first time out. Gotta save something for iPad Mini 2.

6. WLS macrumors 65816

Don't forget about the cost to do so. Each mini screen would cost 3 times or more what an iPhone screen would cost since it is a larger area so the yield per sheet would be less. That extra cost is what makes a retina display unlikely for now at the low price point Apple is going for.

7. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Pretty certain there won't be an 9.7" iPad update next week. Why would Apple update a product about half way into the usual yearly update cycle? It had never happened before, it won't happen next week.

8. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

I might be right after all. ;)

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Then again, they did change the iPhone update cycle.

10. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

The update cycle makes sense. Lots of people wait until after christmas to see if Apple will release new schtuff worth buying. Sometimes those people already spent their money on other gifts.

11. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

We will not see a new iPad like 3s or so. But a revision of the existing one could be done. The 3rd gen iPad get a bit warmer; not lots but a bit. Apple might want to fix that.

More then that I can imagine they want to penetrate the market as quick as possible with the new connector. Before Xmas sales increase. And to have the actual product line all in sync.

To OP and regarding the poll: what the question ? iPad Mini would not be names iPad 3S. So I see a poll for two different devices. But no clear question.

12. PlutoniusX macrumors member

Lack of a retina display is a rumor. We will find out Tuesday. But yea, a lack of such display would turn me either to a iPad 3 or a Nexus 7 32gb. It is a deal breaker.

13. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I'm hoping for an iPad 3 refresh. I was in the market for one over the summer but decided against it because of the early rumors of a possible launch in October.

I have a small feeling that the iPad Mini will be released with a Retina screen. If the iPod Touch and current iPads have it, it would make sense to me that Apple wouldn't hinder the iPad Mini's capabilities, so it could inherit the new technology that the other products currently possess. I've seen others here say that the ppi is tight enough to not need the Retina screen. Then again, wouldn't the iPod Touch have the same thing? Why does it get Retina? I could very well be wrong though...

I'll buy the refreshed iPad 3 if it is released. If not, maybe an iPad Mini. Nonetheless, this will be my first iPad ever.

14. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

if you double the mini's reso, it'll have the same PPI as the iPhone and the same number of pixels as the iPad 3

Very doable

15. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Good way of putting it! Very doable, indeed ;)

16. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yup, "if" Apple moves all of their upgrade cycles into Fall then the holiday sales should go up since people will know Apple won't have a new one until next holiday season.

Then again, you also have to remember that the vast majority of people don't traverse tech sites. I remember seeing people buy 4S by the bunch a few weeks up to the day before the 5 was released.

17. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

This. As much as I'd like to see Retina, it will for sure be left for the mini 2.

Therefore a pass for me.

18. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Fair enough, I will admit I was wrong when the update is announced ;)

All the recent indications are that the update is very minor, possibly just a connector change. Falls under a "silent update" more than a "redesign" category.

19. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

How do you know this isn't on a 1.5 year cycle like the iPhone 4? ie, released now, no updates until March 2014 when the iPad 5 is released.