iPad 4.2.1 help JB

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by monsterkenny, Dec 20, 2010.

1. monsterkenny macrumors newbie

Hello all, new here.
    I just got an iPad yesterday it's on 4.2.1 and I used redsnow to JB. It was jailbroken fine , and as I'm aware that it is a tethered jailbreak, I had a problem.
    If I installed winterboard or installious it crashed to the apple logo and got stuck on it or I was stuck with a boot loop.
    I have a iPhone 3GS so I'm familiar with jailbreaking and the process and saving blobs. When I fired up Cydia, I couldn't save my blobs. So that leads me to believe, the tethered jailbreak is buggy?
    Can anyone give me some insight on this topic or help?
    Thanks.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

There is nothing buggy about the Jailbrake, it work like it suppose to, every time you reboot you need to re-run RedSn0w and use the "tethered boot" option, however you are installing "Installous" so who know what is in your system, it could be anything.

3. monsterkenny thread starter macrumors newbie

So it's normal to hang on the apple logo, say after I install winterboard? Yea I'm aware of reteathering after a reboot I figure some system files got messed up? So sshing everything is a better option for this jailbreak?

Everytime I reboot it hangs on the logo. That's my issue

4. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

If your stuck in the Apple logo you will need to do a few things. First, plug the ipad in to the computer and open redsnow. Then select the boot tethered option. Right before clicking to the point where it begins the process giving you instructions to hold the lock switch, then the lock switch and the home button, then the home button alone, hold the lock switch and the home button together, after a few seconds the device will go black and after a few more seconds (it goes very fast), it will begin loading anew. When it turns black press the proceed button on your redsnow and release the home button. You should now be at stage 1 in the redsnow process where it has you holding on the lock switch for a little bit. Proceed to follow the rest of the redsnow instructions and you will be booted soon enough.

5. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I'm not sure that there are many jailbreak apps that are 4.2.1 ready, read the note in each package you have installed.

For example activator isnt quite perfect but it is close. No idea on winter board.

6. monsterkenny thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I think my jailbreak is so far, so good. Just looking for a decent theme now ;)

7. MRU, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Since he has installous, I highly doubt he's concerned about Cydia apps, and is more interested the procurement of illegally obtained ones.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes it is normal, that is why it is a "tethered" jailbreak, you need to run redsnow every time you reboot or it will hang on the logo