iPad 4.2 GMb Draining Battery

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PoisonScorpion, Nov 19, 2010.

1. PoisonScorpion macrumors member

When using 3.2 I had no battery problems. But now I lose about 30% overnight from doing nothing (obviously) on 4.2 GMb :confused:

Is this a beta bug or is it something isolated?

2. Pinger macrumors regular

I'm finding much better battery life with iOS 4.2.1 GM then with iOS 4.2GMb b. I updated to iOS 4.2.1gm last night and to be honest today is the longest I've gotten out a fully charged battery ever(including original 3.2). Unfotunitely I can't comment on the overnight discharge because I plug my iPad in to charge when go to bed. But tonight I will not and see if it drains while idle. Let you know tomorrow how it goes..

3. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Just got 4.2.1 yesterday, and tested out the overnight drain: 0%. With no applications open, there was no battery drain. I'll try it out tonight with some open.

4. Pinger, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

Pinger macrumors regular

I made sure all apps were off and I was surprised to find I lost 11% through the night. I did not hit the sleep button when retiring it for the evening, I just let the iPad's screen go black and let it go at that(guess I'll have to see if it is different if I hit the sleep button tonight).

Just to reiterate I'm running iOS 4.2.1GM

5. jonnyb macrumors 65816

I had exactly the same thing with 4.2GMb. Went from 60-something % to early 40s overnight. Updated to 4.2.1 and it's back to normal.

6. Pinger macrumors regular

I hit the sleep button before retiring the ipad for the night last night and again the battery lost 11% sitting idle through the night.. Very strange, not sure what could be the reason for this but I guess I'll just stay with my practice of plugging it in to charge overnight from now.
    I wish I checked this when I had iOS 3.2 installed, can't say for sure if it's iOS 4.2.1 causing it.. I'm kind of disappointed in this though.

7. Pinger macrumors regular

8. jrboddie macrumors newbie

I was afraid of this. My iPod Touch 2nd generation has had very bad battery life since upgrading to iOS 4. So much that I have to put the iPod into airplane mode overnight to keep it from discharging. And I don't even get multitasking!

I will soon upgrade my iPad to iOS 4.2 and hope that these observations are wrong. The battery life is already marginal and now if this upgrade makes it worse, I will be very upset. But I am afraid that this multitasking 'feature' keeps something running in the background all the time--consuming the battery.

Multitasking--unnecessary feature.

9. Pinger macrumors regular

Your iPad battery is "marginal" with iOS 3.2??

10. jrboddie macrumors newbie

I recharge every day. That is marginal to me.

I don't monitor the percentage on the battery meter because it is too disconcerting to watch it tick down while web browsing. The 20 % remaining warning is bad enough. I understand that eith iOS 4 the warning is at 5%. Maybe that is better.

Anyway, I sure hope that the upgrade does not mean that I wake up toi a dead iPad when there was plenty of life in the battery before turning it off. This is the situation with my iTouch running iOS 4.

11. Pinger macrumors regular

Ahhh, I was worried you were getting bad battery life using 3.2,,,
    I got over 10 hours with iOS 3.2, now with multitasking I seem to get less but that's understandable.

12. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

had to have been an issue with your update or install or screen lock settings. I had gmb for a week up til today. i didnt charge it the entire time. from sunday to sunday i went from 100% to 34% now thats some great battery life.

13. Pinger macrumors regular

Installed the "Official" iOS 4.2.1 tonight, we'll give it another try.... :)

14. Pinger, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

Pinger macrumors regular

I didn't lose 1% throughout the night.. hit the sleep button before retiring the ipad last night with 52% and 9 hours later still at 52%. Nice
    I guess it was a glitch in my GM version, the official ios 4.2.1 didn't allow for any battery loss while in sleep mode. Thank goodness :)

15. jrboddie macrumors newbie

Great. Thanks for the report. I will probably update my iPad today.