iPad 4.2 Home Button Problem

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jasonordeholmes, Nov 8, 2010.

1. jasonordeholmes macrumors newbie

Hi All, just wondering if anyone is having issues with there home buttin on 4.2, the problem i have is that sometimes it simply doesnt work, cant get out of an app, cant get to the multi tasking bit, I have done a search on here but couldnt find anyone with the same issue!

Thanks

2. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Probably a hardware issue that just happens to coincide. My iPod touch home button is similarly hit and miss.

3. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

+1 on it being a hardware issue.

Did it always glitch on you? Or is this something recent? Maybe you could try blowing some compressed air around the edge of the button.

If you can't get it to work, bring it into Apple and get it swapped out. That button should last for years.

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I don't have this issue on my iPad with 4.2. I *do* have this issue with my iPhone 4 on 4.1.

Click once and most of the time it triple-clicks and reverses the screen colors. Other times it registers it as a double-click to go to multitasking. I should probably take it in to an Apple Genius, but then I'd have to reinstall my Zagg InvisibleShield again (ugh). Not to mention the chance of getting a worse unit.

5. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Tekchic,

Your issue doesn't sound like a hardware problem at all. It sounds like you have the Accessibility feature turned on. That reverse the screen is an option for people with visual impairments to improve contrast. If Accessibility is turned on, triple clicking the menu will activate it.

Go to iTunes, plug in your phone, and scroll around the first page of looking for Accessibility to turn it off. Your phone will work normally once you do that.

Edit: oh, I read more closely. If the button is doing a "triple click" all by itself when you just push it once, then it sounds like a problem with the button.

6. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I wish there was a way to make the Accessibility triple-click just go to "Home". Then I could have a silly workaround for my overclicky home button, haha.

I may pony up and go brave an Apple Genius one of these days.

7. jasonordeholmes thread starter macrumors newbie

Turns out the button was broken, had a genius appointment last night and he replaced is straight away, didn't even plug it in, did a straight swap! Very impressed with the service! I'm now a happy iPad owner again!

Thanks for all your help!

8. Nothlit macrumors regular

I've had the same problem with my home button not working intermittently. It happened right after I installed the 4.2 GM a couple of weeks ago, so I thought it might be a software bug, but when the final public release of 4.2.1 came out yesterday I did a full restore (and set it up as a new iPad) and the problem was still there. So I figured it must be a hardware problem and made an appointment at the Genius Bar. I assumed they would just swap it out, but the guy at the store had me try a reset (home + power button for ~10 seconds until it reboots) and so far that seems to have fixed it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Will post back here if the problem rears its head again...