Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
My iPad 4 64 GB is low on space. I deleted all the photos and videos and still only have 7.0 GB available. Looking under Settings / Storage & iCloud Usage I see only 4 apps using between 1.4 and 2.4 GB, the rest range from 676 MB down to 172 KB. Should I throw it out and get a new iPad?

_9kzX9PQNr9ws26ediX5w7Rp1DEkkyUC6sUzvB1aDJ4SScO5YWazBrOR7HVnCMqcTxMbDwvvySS1YdIKvqxgDLNxKUSWE2Y1faC9jG3r_zmhL9HHqRStuJXKb4T3W4nSgGooHzyC3awlwQEJQTatx7RGIKE7dQrOb9e2N8vIND_7rZBzrvoHpErPK6UbWe-pOo-5yUalCqd2qyh_2JRKyl3GvfeR6_Qr6wqrRuS7rSZBLGdvznwU3f08imhCDo2Lf3MqiUYAZeuUaWQeMvsmWC0Ypr2cdNguSmfU9MR7lSiqPMykJloKZQNNRpP5Vycq1Q4rK9ButuA7q-cfas0QGrZF_5t2Dy3zxvZ1Sc17JmzI-_QxTGlJ_ipwjQm5-GrcJlZ0eJ-52ylJ4xfdDG1ucb1QmBwCOqFjFspdWKwjl0tA6rXfo5kQPBKIEhjyfb8nwr6qrmGKdAYMN5MTmMuDnCIYcsKvXc7zXPnI5leDm5jttgYn1m-o4bQ-M3NOLuI__QNhFqRrKRnzM2ULvcVNaypTzzjk3I_1lf5FHR1v5WnxeBGY61oeCQCT2JUFAFqUsMFYLZq8_327D_vdjZg90m3J5kI=w473-h1078-no

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
I don't think so :)....you only need to restore and setup as new....no backup please .

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
Reset your iPad. That will free up all that memory by getting a ride of apps that you don't use and have claimed un-needed storage. There is no need to buy a new device.

Saving money is not a crime.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Yes you should throw it in the trash, how can you still be using an iPad 4 in 2016, it's ancient tech. /s

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
You can see what's taking up the space, delete or uninstall what you don't need. Also, when you delete pictures and videos, makes sure that you also clear the recently deleted album in photos. Photos and videos that you delete will remain there taking up space for 30 days unless you manually clear it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It is likely iOS has created some "unrecognised files" on your device from time to time. And they are not belonging to anywhere. This often happens when your music library failed to be recognised by music app on device, but there are other possibilities.
I don't know the root cause of it, but your best bet is doing an iTunes backup, and backup all app data manually when applicable, then do a reset and restore. This will delete those "unrecognised files" and recover your storage.

otomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
This is why I suggested clearing recently deleted. I have a feeling that the pics and videos that the OP deleted are still there.

I ran "Free up Space" in Google Photos but after claiming to delete 555 photos and videos and emptying the iOS Photos Trash Album, those still remain. There's still that 13 minute video leftover which I recorded thinking it was a time lapse which Google Photos wouldn't free up because it hadn't uploaded it to the cloud yet. Is there a way to convert the 13 minute video into a 30 second time lapse video on the iPad after-the-fact, which would match my original intent of puffy clouds rolling by and presumably be smaller in size and then I could delete the huge 13-minute video?
[doublepost=1468698864][/doublepost]
Yes you should throw it in the trash, how can you still be using an iPad 4 in 2016, it's ancient tech. /s

I left the 9.7" 128 GB iPad Pro in my shopping cart after the price with pencil and keyboard and apple care came to $1426. That compared to the $699 I paid for the 64 GB iPad 4 in 2012. How did iPads get so expensive? I was looking to get a Nexus 9 but it was discontinued. Where have the price-competitive Nexus tablet alternatives gone?

Last edited:

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
I left the 9.7" 128 GB iPad Pro in my shopping cart after the price with pencil and keyboard and apple care came to $1426. That compared to the $699 I paid for the 64 GB iPad 4 in 2012. How did iPads get so expensive? I was looking to get a Nexus 9 but it was discontinued. Where have the price-competitive Nexus tablet alternatives gone?
I was kidding by the way about the iPad 4, it's still a perfectly capable device but yeah Apple seems to be very greedy these days. And about the Nexus 9, I think the Nexus line is gone now you should probably look for the Pixel-C if you want an alternative.

otomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
I was kidding by the way about the iPad 4, it's still a perfectly capable device but yeah Apple seems to be very greedy these days. And about the Nexus 9, I think the Nexus line is gone now you should probably look for the Pixel-C if you want an alternative.

But is the Pixel-C a mobile device or is it a laptop? Can I watch Snapchat videos on the Pixel-C like I can with the iPad 4?

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
But is the Pixel-C a mobile device or is it a laptop? Can I watch Snapchat videos on the Pixel-C like I can with the iPad 4?
Yes it's a mobile device. It's a very well built and elegant tablet running Android.

However, people are saying that Android on this tablet is more like a phone experience than a real tablet one so you may want to watch/read some reviews first.

otomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
It is likely iOS has created some "unrecognised files" on your device from time to time. And they are not belonging to anywhere. This often happens when your music library failed to be recognised by music app on device, but there are other possibilities.
I don't know the root cause of it, but your best bet is doing an iTunes backup, and backup all app data manually when applicable, then do a reset and restore. This will delete those "unrecognised files" and recover your storage.

Did a backup. Also did a sync. Or maybe the sync stopped when iTunes reported it couldn't find the app YardSale. Is the sync incomplete if messages like that come up or do messages like that come up after the sync is complete?

Okay I'm erasing now....

m.x

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2014
Did a backup. Also did a sync. Or maybe the sync stopped when iTunes reported it couldn't find the app YardSale. Is the sync incomplete if messages like that come up or do messages like that come up after the sync is complete?

Okay I'm erasing now....

I may be a bit late to answer your question, but I had the same issue on my iPad Air 2 and my 6s. The "used storage" was much higher than the sum of all the listed apps. I connected my devices to my Mac and iTunes showed that a huge amount of storage was eaten up by "documents & data" (17GB on my 64GB iPad and 9GB on my 64GB iPhone).
When I see your screenshot it looks like you have the same problem.
My solution was:
-download many movies and apps to fill the storage up to <500MB available
-try to download a movie which can't fit onto your device
-the device will show you a message stating that there's no storage left
-now delete every previously downloaded movie
The "available storage" should now be much higher than before. My iPhone had 7GB more storage listed under "available storage". This method was previously possible with movie rentals, but it didn't work for me and I had to do it with my purchased movies. I don't know exactly how it works, but when you try to download the movie which size is much larger than the available storage, iOS seems to delete as much used storage of "documents & data" as possible. I hope this helps.

otomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013

Okay I'm erasing now....

Erase over. Restored backup. Now have an extra 10GB. Maybe more if the restore re-synced all music that I deleted.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
With recent price cuts, the iPad Pro 9.7 128GB WiFi is now $699 - same as what you paid for your iPad 4 64GB. Less when there's a sale or if you get an Apple-certified refurb. Even before the price cuts, it was $749 or just $50 more. The Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard are optional accessories. They're not necessary if you just want to use the iPad Pro 9.7 the same way you use your iPad 4. When comparing prices, compare them apples to apples.

otomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
With recent price cuts, the iPad Pro 9.7 128GB WiFi is now $699 - same as what you paid for your iPad 4 64GB. Less when there's a sale or if you get an Apple-certified refurb. Even before the price cuts, it was $749 or just $50 more. The Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard are optional accessories. They're not necessary if you just want to use the iPad Pro 9.7 the same way you use your iPad 4. When comparing prices, compare them apples to apples.

True. I guess in my mind I was comparing the 2012 maxed-out-top-of-the-line iPad with the 2016 maxed-out-top-of-the-line iPad. In the first few iPad generations the big reveal moment at the Apple event was that newest bestest iPad was priced the same as last year's bestest iPad. ("Wow! I can have all these new extra features for the same price as last year's iPad? Count me in!") But those type of price reveals stopped and the motivation for upgrading from a "good enough" iPad softened. I upgraded from gen 3 to gen 4 for the lightning port basically. Nothing has motivated me to move up since. And nowadays all the new features (3D Touch, improved camera, 4K video) show up in the iPhone, redefine the iOS experience, and then don't appear in the iPad line. So why upgrade to an iPad that can't do what my iPhone does everyday? It just seems weird that the iPad Pro can't shoot 4K video like the last two iPhone generations can. It has this huge high resolution screen but the camera is limited to shooting 1080p video. So I stick with the 2012 gen 4, which also shoots 1080p video.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
And nowadays all the new features (3D Touch, improved camera, 4K video) show up in the iPhone, redefine the iOS experience, and then don't appear in the iPad line. So why upgrade to an iPad that can't do what my iPhone does everyday? It just seems weird that the iPad Pro can't shoot 4K video like the last two iPhone generations can. It has this huge high resolution screen but the camera is limited to shooting 1080p video. So I stick with the 2012 gen 4, which also shoots 1080p video.
Seems to me all the new features have always been on iPhone first. Stands to reason. The iPhone is Apple's cash cow and it's got a much higher markup/profit margin compared to the iPad.

otomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Seems to me all the new features have always been on iPhone first. Stands to reason. The iPhone is Apple's cash cow and it's got a much higher markup/profit margin compared to the iPad.

According to Steve Jobs, Apple was developing the iPad before the iPhone, so technically iPad started with features before iPhone.

Now new features show up on the iPhone first and then they linger there exclusively for years, mocking the poor iPad, who never gets a chance to catch up.

Looks like iPad sales peaked Q1 2014: https://www.statista.com/statistics/269915/global-apple-ipad-sales-since-q3-2010/

While iPhone sales are slowing down Q1 2017: https://www.statista.com/statistics/263401/global-apple-iphone-sales-since-3rd-quarter-2007/

otomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Yes.

Or you can simply uninstall the apps that you don't use. (do you actually use garageband, imovie, keynote, etc?)

I've used garageband to record aiff voiceover. I've used imovie on my iPhone. I've used keynote to create stroke patient flashcards. The trick to uninstalling apps is finding them. You can't delete an app from the keyword search results, only launch them.
[doublepost=1486666196][/doublepost]

Another feature that I can't use on the iPad that I use on the iPhone all the time is the hard press spacebar on the keyboard that brings up a moveable cursor trick -- whatever that feature is called. No amount of money can buy an iPad with that feature.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I've used garageband to record aiff voiceover. I've used imovie on my iPhone. I've used keynote to create stroke patient flashcards. The trick to uninstalling apps is finding them. You can't delete an app from the keyword search results, only launch them.
I'm not sure what you were trying to point out. I suggested uninstalling some of the apps that you might not need to gain free space. And I'm not sure why using imovie on your iPhone is relevant.

Anyway, if uninstalling apps you are not using is not an option because you cannot find them (not sure how this is an issue), then yes, trash it and get an iPad with larger storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.