iPad 4 dead?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mike-G, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Mike-G macrumors newbie

My sister gave me her iPad a few days ago saying that it has been playing up since IOS 9 came out.

At first it was freezing and she had to restart it. It then got to the point that it had to be restored on iTunes to get it to work temporarily. It is now 100% unresponsive and when I try to update it on iTunes, it gives error code 4014.

I have tried restoring it on 3 different computers (1 windows 10 and 2 OS X el cap) using several cables, including a brand new one.

The only sign of life it is showing is being recognised by iTunes saying the iPad is in recovery mode and to restore it. No activity on the screen.

I have searched the internet and found a lot of topics of this happening, but no real answers.

She rang apple support and they said it is a hardware issue. But if it is, is it a repairable one? Or will it be on an IC level.

I do electronics for a living and have lots of experience repairing apple products. Pretty much the only apple product range I haven't had apart is the apple watch. So if it is possible, I would like to try repairing it before writing it off.

Any one familiar with this issue?

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Sounds like it may need a new battery. Have the Apple Store run a diagnostic and go from there.

3. Mike-G thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple store is a bit of a trek from where I live, so I would rather avoid going if I can. But if i'm still struggling with it after the christmas holidays, I might have to.

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I believe they are also able to run the diagnostic over the phone, similar to the diagnostic they run for AppleCare. Try that first.