All iPads iPad 4: get it now or wait for the 5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by toolarmy, Mar 19, 2013.

  1. toolarmy macrumors newbie

    Apr 15, 2011
    We don't technically know when the 5 is coming out, but I've been debating back and forth about whether to wait or not. If I buy it now and the 5 comes out in April, I'll be ticked at myself for not waiting. If it doesn't come out until late summer or fall, I'd be content with not waiting.

    Would you buy the iPad 4 right now or wait?
  2. Han Solo 1, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

    Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

    Mar 12, 2013
    Well last year when the 4 came out, Apple was willing to swap your 3 for a new 4 if you bought within 30 days prior to the 4 coming out. That's not a guarantee that it will happen again, of course, but if it does come out around April 15 or earlier, you might be able to do that.

    Having said that, Apple is ignoring the fact that the 3 ever came out. They seem to be on a fall refresh schedule now, and so I wouldn't expect the 5 until at least late summer.

    However, I just bought the iPad 4 a couple of days ago and I'm thrilled with it. Extremely smooth and display is great.
  3. Samtb macrumors 65816

    Jan 6, 2013
    You need to ask yourself if you want one now, if it can wait until summer/fall, if you like what the current 4 has to offer and what advantages waiting for the 5 will have for you.

    In terms of release, I agree it probably will be Summer or fall. I'd be very surprised to see it in April.
  4. mpayne2k, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

    mpayne2k macrumors 6502a


    May 12, 2010
    Wait wait wait...or decide now if the form factor of the 4 (most likely the last of its kind) is what you want in a larger iPad because the 5 will most likely look like a bigger Mini.
  5. LuxoJunior macrumors member

    Mar 17, 2013
  6. maxosx macrumors 68020

    Dec 13, 2012
    Southern California
    Buy now. They're well sorted out & bug free. There's a lot to be said for that. I've had every model & this is the best thus far.

    However if like some, you prefer admiring the looks of the device over its functionality waiting might suit you.
  7. AppleRobert macrumors 603

    Nov 12, 2012
    Buy it now, sell it immediately when a viable source spits out when the next one is coming so you can get top dollar.

    The iPhone 5s will come out before any other iPad IMHO so it will be awhile.
  8. youknome macrumors 6502


    Nov 22, 2010
  9. toolarmy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 15, 2011
    The indecision in this thread is exactly the opposite of what I was hoping for. Haha. I'm so squarely on the fence. If I knew, for sure, that the iPad 5 wasn't being released/announced in April, I'd get the 4 now. Unfortunately, I don't know that, so...
  10. kaylerrific macrumors regular

    Dec 26, 2012
    I have the 4 and I love it. If it fits what you need, then just get it now. It's not like it'll stop working when the 5 comes out.
  11. Robster3 macrumors 68000

    Dec 13, 2012
  12. mentaluproar macrumors 68000


    May 25, 2010
    Ohio, USA
    I adore my iPad 4. While I would enjoy chamfered edges, its not enough to switch.
  13. Almy macrumors 6502

    Sep 27, 2008
    Just bought my first ipad, an ipad 4, and I'm digging it. Our local apple store will exchange it for 30 days if a new one comes out. I'm glad I didn't wait, it's awesome.
  14. Medic311 macrumors 68000


    Jul 30, 2011
    i used to have an iPad 3, which i bought for full price on October 3. apple allowed me to return it and pre-order the iPad 4, which i did. i got the iPad 4 and in all honesty the difference was not very significant. app folders opened up a split second more quickly and web pages loaded maybe 1/2-1 sec more quickly. games played exactly the same (Metal Storm) and despite the A6X being twice as fast as the A5X, the A5 on a non-retina display still plays Metal Storm more fluidly. that Retina screen truly is a beast and i still feel that the A6X isn't fully adequate for the Retina. but i digress...that's a topic of discussion for another forum.

    i saw that the iPad 3 refurbs substantially dropped in price right when the iPad 4 was announced. the iPad 3/4 64GB LTE that originally was $829 brand new was now $679... talk about a steep price drop ($150). i returned the iPad 4 and bought the iPad 3 version for $679. before i did this though, i thought about what my intentions were with this iPad 3. was i intending to hold onto it for 3 years or am i buying it to use for a year and then flip when the redesigned iPad 5 comes out? most likely it will be the latter. thus i concluded that going with the iPad 3 was the better way to go. an analogy to this situation would be trying to decide to buy a used car or a brand new car if you knew you would be selling it soon. most logical people would buy the used vehicle since after 1 year of ownership it will not have depreciated from the purchase price as much as the brand new one. going back to the iPad, the $679 iPad 3 64GB LTE iPad a year from now when the iPad 5 comes out, will probably have a resale dip to $600. the iPad 4 64GB LTE on the other hand, will likely drop from $829 down to the $679 price that the refurb iPad 3 used to be at due to downward pricing pressure from iPad 4 refurbs. in my situation, after doing the simple math, the iPad 3 is the better way to go. however, not everyone's situation is the same as mine as they might not be planning to upgrade to the iPad 5. this scenario also doesn't end up being as extreme if you are comparing base model 16GB wifi models and you throw in Black Friday pricing too. that gap ends up being more narrow and then i might say just go with the iPad 4.

    moving onto the other new features of the iPad 4. i have an iPhone 4S and i've owned iPods since 2005 so to be honest i won't miss the Lightning port - i'm too entrenched in 30-pin cables and accessories for the benefits of the new port (reversible) to negate the inconveniences. i have about a dozen 30-pin cables - several throughout the house, car, office, several at the lake house, briefcase, backpack, etc just to name a few. while wifi sync is great, it's not ideal for transferring 15GB of Season 2 of Game of Thrones to my iPad. i know eventually the Lightning cables will be generic, but they're not now and they won't be $0.99 probably for 2 more years. again like i said above, i am thinking about the now and for the next year.

    not having a Facetime HD camera in the iPad 3 is OK - it's not like 720p will make my face more attractive. if anything it'll make it uglier lol. my girlfriend has the Mini so i at least get to see her in 720p when we occasionally Facetime which is maybe once every 2 months when i am on a business trip. if i was in a long distance relationship though, then i could see the 720p Facetime HD camera being a must.

    so yeah, that's pretty much my reasoning why i went from an iPad 3, to and iPad 4, back to and iPad 3. i'm sure many will disagree with my logic and that's OK - that's why we're consumers...we each have our own opinion
  15. Caliber26 macrumors 68000


    Sep 25, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I just got mine about two weeks ago and I'm thrilled I did because I'd been without an iPad since November, when I sold my third-gen. Personally, I'm not a fan of the iPhone 5's anodized finish, and since that's likely where the iPad 5 is headed, I decided to buy now. That, and I didn't feel being without one for what could be another six to eight months of waiting. -- Even if a new one came out in a month, I can always sell this one and pay a small amount to upgrade.
  16. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a


    May 12, 2010
    Sound reasoning...People get too caught up in the latest and greatest and the opinions of others on these forums. It is good to see sound opinions and suggestions.

    But...good luck selling your iPad 3 for $600 later this year ;)
  17. AppleRobert macrumors 603

    Nov 12, 2012
    No one knows BUT I would have to say the majority doubts it will be April. But it might be May, so...

    Do what your comfortable with. I sold the mini last week and bought the 4 cause I doubt another will be released soon. Even if one is, I ain't missing the mini and do not have to have the ipad5 anytime soon to tell the truth.
  18. Bokes macrumors 6502

    Mar 4, 2008
    Wait for the 5- (now rumored to be dropped in late June.)
    or get the reburb 3.
    I saw a 64gig ipad 3- brand new in box from tekserve- Full warranty- asking $549.
    The 4 is DOA.
  19. Commy1 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 25, 2013
    The iPad 4th gen is a fantastic piece of equipment, the A6X processor is very fast, the Retina display is fantastic looking and it comes in whatever capacity you want.

    The iPad 5 will basically look like the iPad Mini with the slate matte finish. It's hard to say when it will actually come out, or what processor will be in it or anything really.
    From a technological outlook, the A6X runs are 1.4GHz while producing little to no heat. Anything above that won't be overly significant, perhaps 1.6GHz if you're lucky in the new A7. iPads will almost certainly have any ventilation system which means they are thermally limited to the clock speed of the chips.

    My suggestion, is if you like the current iPad design then now is the time. Any software updates like iOS 7 or whatever will obviously be compatible with the 4th gen.
  20. Medic311 macrumors 68000


    Jul 30, 2011
    true, $600 is an optimistic resale value but then again i have the 64GB LTE model and i wouldn't be surprised if i get that or slightly below that. the iPad 4 vs iPad 3 resale values on eBay aren't different enough to have warranted buying the iPad 4 since as i said above i am planning on upgrading to the iPad 5.

    i started with an iPad 2 that i bought as a refurb when Apple dropped the prices, then ended up flipping it on eBay and actually made a profit since people didn't realize that Apple dropped the price of the refurb from $399 down to $319, LOL. if you go onto eBay and look at the resale values of the iPad 2, they are still VERY strong. heck, the iPad 3 resale values are very strong too as many people actually prefer NOT to get the iPad 4 with the lightning cable.

    y'know to be honest, i can't stay for certain that i definitely will be getting the iPad 5 when it comes out. it will have to be a dramatic redesign and lightning cables need to be $5 or below per cable. maybe i'd wait ~6 months for the refurbs to start popping up. who knows. i'm very satisfied with the iPad 3 and like i said there was no substantial performance difference between the 3 and the 4 currently. i know that will change, but not anytime soon in my opinion. the A5 is such a beast of a chip (whether it's the A5 or the A5X) and when coupled with the efficiency of iOS it's a match made in heaven for performance.

    now only if Apple could perfect their stupid Podcast App. dammit this thing sucks so badly...
  21. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

    Oct 16, 2012
    Earlier in the year there were rumors of the iPad 5 coming in March. I wanted to get an iPad in mid February (the excuse was it was for my birthday). I almost waited for a month, but I ended up being too impatient and got the 4. I am glad I didn't wait, since the new one isn't being released anytime soon. I am sure the 5 is coming in the fall, but do you want to wait 6 months? What if the improvements/changes are minimal? If you want one now just get it. Technology is always evolving and there will always be something newer or better. My point is that I got the 4 and am happy and I think it will have a decent lifetime of support, etc. It doesn't matter to me the weight/size, even if the 5 is a few grams lighter, since it is big anyway and I never take it out of the house.
  22. nightlong macrumors 6502a


    Jun 16, 2012
    The iPad4 is brilliant ... Great screen, fast, no heat problems. If the ipad5 is a new design, it might have first-gen problems.
  23. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

    Mar 12, 2013
    Come on. If it was out in 2014 that would represent an unprecedented move of stupidity on Apple's part. Skip a whole year without a new iPad? :rolleyes:
  24. cardfan macrumors 65816

    Mar 23, 2012
    The real question the OP should be asking is get a refurb 3 now or wait til the 5? The ipad 4 is a bad value right now given the insignificant improvements over the 3. Chances are you could resell the 3 and not lose much at all.

Share This Page