Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danmoore03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Hey guys I've finally made the upgrade from a first gen ipad to the fourth. Needless to say it was a massive upgrade and I'm really enjoying it. The only problem I have is I'm on my second one. I'm not sure if its just a different design then the first ipad, but the home button is not nearly as responsive. The first ipad 4 I had before I returned it to apple, had a really bad clicky loose feeling to the home button causing it to not work all the time. They gladly noticed the problem and returned no problem. I get home with this new one, button is much quieter, but not so responsive. The more I use it the better it gets, set the ipad down let it sit for twenty minutes and use again, takes a couple clicks sometimes to wake it up. Sometimes I can push it once, and it mimics a double tapped home button. I've tried the tricks found online, recalibrate the home button, that works well, only for a short time then it begins to get worse.

Is this a hardware or software flaw? Am I being to picky, or should I go back for yet a 3rd ipad.

----------

Of course after browsing this morning for about an hour, it's responsive as ever. Would be hard to state my case to a genius if it works fine once I go in to apple lol. I wonder if the button could possibly be too "tight" and will loosen up and work it self out over time??

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
My new iPad 4 also takes a couple of clicks of the home button to wake it up sometimes. Really not sure if this is a hardware or software issue.
Seems like the 1st click after it has been sitting for a while is sometimes not registered. Other times it works fine, but misses a click in general use.
Think I'm going to return it today.

Bmccreig

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Same issue

I had the same issue. I just received the ipad 4 a couple of weeks ago and recently I had noticed that the home button became unresponsive. It took several clicks to perform a function and sometimes it would open the multitasking bar when it should have returned to home screen. It became worse over the last few days. I called apple support and they said they have received similar calls and were aware of the issue.

I went into the apple store today and they swapped out for a new one. I would suggest taking into the store if you can. We couldn't even replicate the issue in the store.

It is a very frustrating flaw. New ipad is good so far...hope they get it fixed.

Crabnbass

Oct 23, 2012
Same exact problem with my iPad 4. Anyone have any idea how long the exchange period is? I got mine on the 19th and it might be a while before I can get to the Apple store.

oli517

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Disabled Siri

I first thought this is a hardware problem. After I disabled Siri (long press on home button), the home button got responsive again. Give it a try.
My new iPad 4 also takes a couple of clicks of the home button to wake it up sometimes. Really not sure if this is a hardware or software issue.
Seems like the 1st click after it has been sitting for a while is sometimes not registered. Other times it works fine, but misses a click in general use.
Think I'm going to return it today.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's normal. Perhaps at some point in the future Apple will improve this weak link in the experience.

I really like the very reliable & easy to use capacitive touch buttons on a few of my Android phones. They function just like the touchscreen & never present a problem.

xxbrankxx

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I just got the iPad 4 today and noticed the home button keeps sticking. I downloaded the latest software update 6.0.1 but it didn't fix it. Nowhere near as responsive as my iPod or iPhone. I guess I'll take to the Apple store and see what they say.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I just got the iPad 4 today and noticed the home button keeps sticking. I downloaded the latest software update 6.0.1 but it didn't fix it. Nowhere near as responsive as my iPod or iPhone. I guess I'll take to the Apple store and see what they say.

Why would a software upgrade correct a hardware defect?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I turn on the "assistive touch" feature on my iPad 2/3. I prefer the virtual home button over the physical button. I can adjust the volume, lock the screen and even power off the device from the screen. :)

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I've had two of the latest iPads, and both have had a flawless home button. I was very surprised at how sensitive and soft the button feels.

That said, the only time I use it is when I forget about the four-finger-pinch. Between that and the Smart Cover, the home button should never see use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.