Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
The older iPads don't have a uniform bezel. The top and bottom bezels are bigger than the side bezels.

Also, the side bezels on the Air still have plenty of finger space. They're not as small as you'd think. Still bigger than the Mini's bezels and a lot bigger than the iPhone/iPod's bezels.

Here's a definitive bezel comparison shot:

Attachments

• bezel-compare.jpg
    bezel-compare.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 90

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Feels more durable.

Leather Smart Cover.

The screen feels more rigid.

Uniform bezel.

I like the black and silver combo vs. black and space gray.

The speed & weight are the only wins for the Air.

Just opinions, mind you.

If you like your iPad 4, you're going to love the iPad 1. The iPad 4 is lighter and faster, but how important is that really.

threelions

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
It's all personnel preference. I have had an Ipad 4 for a year and a bit and love it, I did buy an Ipad Air but ended up returning it due to screen issues(all the replacements had the same issue). I prefer the thinner bezels of the Air and it's obviously a superior machine inside, but the 4 had a better screen uniformity(that could just be me) and the extra glass made it feel sturdier(not saying it was just that it felt that way), I never minded the extra weight myself.

That said if I had found an Air with a uniform screen I would have kept it and sold/given away my 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.