iPad iPad 4 IS faster test this yourself

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Anti-Lucifer, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

You guys that say there is no difference in performance with overal general non gaming use are not using your iPads the right way. The A6X is superior to the A5X in overal general use!

Try task switching between apps and games. An example would be load up the apps you normally use and switch between all of them on the iPad 4 you can instantaneously use any app switched there is zero lag. On the iPad 3 once you load up more apps and switch between them there is stutter and lag. Example would be safari. Once u switch to safari you can scroll the screen instantly like you can on iPad 4. Same with other apps you can't begin to use them instantly there is a delay on the iPad 3

And indeed rendering the web pages are faster on the iPad 4. Especially if you see how quickly the iPad 4 loads up JavaScript for example disqus comments.

The app switching is worth the upgrade itself!

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Uh, app switching - something you see for a split second - is not worth buying a new $500 device that does all the same stuff.

3. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Would this small increase warrant $200+ to upgrade?

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

"Worth it" is a bit subjective. I think it could be worthy if you had a 1 or 2 and were choosing between a used or refurbished 3 and a new 4. If you already have a 3 and aren't a power user (ie you use it to look at photos rather to photoshop them) you probably won't tell a difference for now.

The ram limitations in the 1 and 2 were what encouraged me to upgrade from them, checkerboarding and the like. No such problems on the 3.

Glad you enjoy your 4!

5. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right you can argue a Prius gets to 60mph in 10+ seconds wile a Ferrari does it in 4.5seconds but it doesn't matter since the speed limit is 60mph. :rolleyes:

That task switching is everything in iOS. The way this system multi tasks its essential you switch apps as fast as you can. If you don't get this obviously you don't need an iPad for more than casual games and occasional web and reading purposes. Some people actually produce on an iPad.

----------

Same argument as why not to buy an iPad mini because there's no retina while millions disagree with you that retina is not that great enough to warrant an iPad over a mini purchase.

6. bad1550 macrumors regular

I just sold my iPad 3 16 GB Black on CL for $360. My new iPad 4 is on its way by Monday so actually worth it for me, especially when I got the 5% off Discover and $40 Target matching credit.

7. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

The iPad 4 (just going to use numbers vs. "gen") is clearly faster in CPU and GPU functions. The question is how much "value" you assign to those improvements, in the context of your usage model.

General, non-graphic intensive apps? Sure, apps load quicker, but are those tiny incremental improvements worth it? Maybe. If you run some processor heavy apps like iMovie, or games like Real Racing, that might be a more definitive maybe :D

Mix that in with FFC improvement (RFC improvement due to the A6 DSP), faster WiFi, better (or "better" depending on your perspective) connector, and in the grand scheme, those of us to who paid < $200 difference (I got $460 credit for mine) vs. our original iPad 3 purchase (especially if was owned for > 6 months), it _was_ worth it.

These threads remind me of the GT-R threads about trading in '09 for '10 for '11, since Nissan has incrementally improved the vehicle every model year since 2009 (which is almost unheard of in the auto industry). GT-Rs are enthusiasts vehicles, so 35HP and a 6 second 'Ring improvement is "worth" the sometimes $10K+ loss (for the GT-R crowd)

Anyway, we'll probably +all+ be online pre-ordering when the iPad 5 is released :)

Bottom line: iPad 3 owners, enjoy, it's a great device, if the 4 isn't worth it to you, then it's just not, is doesn't matter about the benchmarks.

~cheers~