Ipad 4 is really an Ipad 3 or Ipad 3 HD/Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Oct 24, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Let's be honest Apple has something better in the works..why would they make the Ipad mini thinner and a slate black better looking than Ipad 4?

I'm an Ipad 3 owner but really like the latest Ipad usually..but let's be honest this was only released to update everything to lightning with the mini.

Ipad 5th generation is probably in the works right now. Best saving your cash.

Ipad 4 will have a shorter lifespan than Ipad 3 but over all they are the same product so the hardware has pretty much got a full year cycle. No doubt it will be back to one year updates from March 2013.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Its the 4th Generation iPad, accept that.

I would like to think so, it would be bad business to just stop now.

Its more likely been in the works for the past 12-18 months,

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

No it's them adding three Iphone 5 features to the Ipad 3.

Don't care what you call it. They only called it 4th gen due to A6X if it never had that chances are it would be "revised New Ipad".

That's what it is.

4. cloud25 macrumors newbie

If that's what you want to believe, then all the power to you. You can keep telling yourself the turtle is a dragon but at the end of the day it's still just a turtle :(

iPad 5 is in the works, yes, you are correct. But it won't come out till next Fall, if at that. Maybe Spring of 2014?

5. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

The rumours pointed to an updated Ipad 3 model..which it is..it's not new nothing in it is..they added A6X and a new camera at the front but that's nothing new for them..no design wow.

That's why people are surprised they called it Ipad 4. It's the worst upgrade since it's arrival.

6. Bokes macrumors 6502

It's not an HD pro.
    The screen is the same.
    It's a little faster.
    unless you use the ipad for 3D gaming.
    Big deal.
    The true upgrade will be when they return it to the ipad2 size and weight.
    Thinner and lighter.
    Expect it in March.

7. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

It will be thinner than Ipad 2 I reckon. If they can do a mini slimmer than can do better with a 9.7".

8. cloud25 macrumors newbie

I'm not debating how minimal the bumps are. I absolutely agree, I rolled my eyes too when they called it a 4th generation yet only added a new chip and front camera. The chip itself is actually a big upgrade depending on the circumstances and individual needs/wants but not enough to warrant a title conversion.

But it is what it is. It's the 4th generation whether you like it or not. Although people may not like it, the new iPad 4 is justified. But I can't say the same thing for a March release iPad 5. A refresh on the iPad 3 (which became the 4) is warranted. But it's hard to see a redesign early next year.

----------

I'm not debating how minimal the bumps are. I absolutely agree, I rolled my eyes too when they called it a 4th generation yet only added a new chip and front camera. The chip itself is actually a big upgrade depending on the circumstances and individual needs/wants but not enough to warrant a title conversion imo.

But it is what it is. It's the 4th generation. Although people may not like it, the new iPad 4 is actually justifiable. Apple wanted a refresh for lightning and to put it on the same cycle as the Mini. But I can't say the same thing for a March release iPad 5. It's hard to see a redesign early next year.

9. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

They called it Ipad 4 yes, FACT.

But anybody with any insight into technology or regular readers here all know what we have is Ipad 3 added with what they forgot to add or half of what was going to be on Ipad 4 (now 5).

They never sat with a pen and paper and redesigned it like Iphone 5 or worked on a way to get retina onto Ipad 3 without draining the battery..Ipad 4 is just Ipad 3 ..no new design, nothing. They changed a few parts, reboxed it and it's Ipad 4.

That's WHY I find it hard to buy. Why do I want an Ipad 4 if I ready have one? Ipad 3?

10. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

they never called it an iPad 4 or even iPad 3 for that matter. Numbering in the iPad line is no more. They did refer to it as generations as they do their mac lines, but not by any number.

11. irDigital0l Guest

Then don't buy it and be happy with what you have?

12. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I said 4 to be quick (meaning like a 4th generation) just for short. I know it's new Ipad and Ipad with retina but that's not good..easier to just say 4th model of Ipad.

----------

I like the latest Apple product..

That's what annoys some Apple fans.

But the thing is..they haven't really gave me a decent upgrade have they? Reminds me of Ipod touch 4 getting two years..maybe Ipad will become a bland range of little updates?

13. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

While I agree that you can't call the 4th version of the iPad released by Apple anything but the 4th version. Apple will never go a full calendar year without releasing a new iPad. Trust me, another new iPad will be released in 2013. I just hope this isn't Apples way of shifting iPad to a fall launch now instead of the traditional Spring launch. The way it's looking, Apple is going to start releasing their entire product portfolio in one sitting now instead of spread throughout the year.

14. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

They talk about tablets outselling PC's ect..

I don't know how well Macs sell..I have windows but everybody uses mac laptops now. But I'm sure this and Apple tv don't come close to the sales of Ipads and Iphones and Ipods.

Apple have alot of product lines now so it's hard to see what they will do. It's actually putting people off buying as you don't know when the next one will be updated.

15. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Windows has always outsold the Mac. Only as iOS devices became Apples primary source of revenue did they change their name from "Apple Computer" to Apple Inc. My best advice to anyone wanting to upgrade, and I get this question a lot because I have a fair amount of Apple products. Is upgrade at around the time of a products release. Steve Jobs said it best, "If you're always waiting around for what's next, you'll wait forever, and never end up owning anything!" What I always tell myself is if I need, or want something and I have the financial means to do so then do it! Hope that helps.

16. whitesand macrumors regular

The Ipad 4 (now called the ipad with with retina display) is the HUGE upgrade the ipad 3 should have been...IMHO they should have just waited to release the ipad 3 with all the features the new ipad has.....Especially since the ipad 3 is now discontinued as the ipad 2 continues to sell....Most likely the newest ipad will continue to sell when the next refresh goes on sale next fall....The A6X with double CPU and graphics performance is a pretty large performance boost that will be more than enough to keep it ahead of the competition till then.