iPad iPad 4 Longevity

Discussion in 'iPad' started by asiandude87, Jul 31, 2013.

1. asiandude87 macrumors newbie

I just got an Ipad 4 as part of family gift, and I love it. I know rumors are going on about the new Ipad coming out this year, but I really dont care about the new one since I am very satisfied with the 4.
    We all know that IOS 7 will be coming out this fall and iPad 2, 3 and 4 will be supported.
    Given the price tag of $500 to $829, I wonder what the life expectancy of the device will be or should be. I hope to have mine for at least 3 years before I think of replacing it.

What do you think about life expectancy for your iPad?

Thank You

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

A well taken care of iPad can last the better part of a decade, and it will be mostly useful for at least five years. After that, while it may not do the most demanding things it will still be quite useful.

3. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

My ipad 3 is still flawless except it takes the battery a really long time to charge. But that's probably because I use mine for everything and have to do a full charge everyday. Going to sell it and get the 5 when it comes out. But it should last a very long time if you take care of it. My pastor still has his first generation bought on day one as well.

4. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Yep, it should be perfectly fine for the next 3years, but after that I doubt it will get updates, the one thing that may hamper it in the long run is its 1GB RAM, I just get the feeling it's not enough, I often get Safari crashing when I load
    large articles e.g. When browsing Cult Of Mac, it does worry me.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

My sister is still using the original iPad with no complaints.

But of course, after the industry leading 2 to 3 years of update ended, it's harder to get the newest apps.

6. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Last February I went to the Apple Store in Fort Worth, Texas to get a new battery for my Ipad2 that I bought in July, 2011. I decided to trade this one in and for around $100.00 I received a refurbished Ipad2.

So,what would be my lifespan on my refurbished Ipad2 or will it be discontinued when IOS8 comes out in the future?

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

A couple of years depending on what you use it for.

The iPad 4 is much higher spec so it should last longer.

If your iPad 2 doesn't get iOS 8 that doesn't mean it's no longer useful, but it should get some of 8.

8. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Given the fact that the mini has an A5 in it and is still being sold, I'd have to think that Apple is really going to be forced to carry along the A5 through as many iOS upgrades as possible. Given that, I can easily see the A6X being able to take one more step in iOS upgrades than the A5 and A6 would.

So I expect pretty darn good longevity out of the iPad4.

9. hairyguy macrumors newbie

the ipad has a battery that will eventually die after a certain number of charges. is it 500 or 1000? it will in no way last a decade no matter how much you take care of it. you will have to send it in for servicing and will have to hope apple or another manufacturer is still making that exact battery type. 2-3 years is a typical cycle and life expectancy of electronics today. i resell my ipad every year and get the newest one. i don't deal with battery issues (they also lose the ability to hold a strong charge after repeated use) or with old low quality technology (ipad 1 compared to ipad 4 is a huge difference).

10. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

The iPad 4 should last you quite a while longer. I know plenty of people still using 1st gen iPads. Take care of it and it will last you. It should run most apps just fine for quite a while longer (the iPad 2 still does) and will probably get iOS 9.