iPad Ipad 4 on 5GHz connection

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dazz87, Nov 29, 2012.

1. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

Just purchased and installed the Asus RT-N66U. My download speed is pretty amazing. On speedtest.net app on 5GHz I am getting an ave of 65-75Mbps down / 6.38Mbps. Up...:) On 2.4GHz I am getting 25-35Mbps down / up is 6Mbps. How the hell is it coming in at over 65Mbps, when my internet plan with Charter is 30Mbps down / 6Mbps up. :confused:.

On my server(wired with gigabit connection) Im getting 45-50Mbps.... How is the ipad wireless faster then a wired connection??? Or is Speedtest.net not accurate? On the Asus admin page I could not location the true speed of the ipad running on 5GHz. Anyone else noticed a faster connection on 5GHz compare to 2.4GHz on their new ipad?

2. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I getting the same numbers for download speed. My connection is 45 down/4 up. On my ipad I'm getting 60-70 down/ 4 up.

3. DonnieZ macrumors newbie

Cable ISPs for the past few years have been using some kind of speed boosting traffic shaping. Comcast calls it powerboost, I'm sure other ISPs have a name for it.

Basically the first few megabytes of a download are not throttled to the subscribed rate, it's much higher then tapers back down to the subscribed rate after a few seconds. Think of it as a burst of speed at the beginning of a down,lad.

They say it helps with downloads, which it does (somewhat, depending on the size of the download) but mostly I think it's to get huge speed numbers on sites like speedtest.net and such, of which the entire download will probably last the length of the speed burst.