iPad 4 or iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kirixis, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Kirixis macrumors member

Kirixis

Hey all.

I've been using an iPad 3 as my main device for the last six months - since launch day. I like it, but it's a little heavier than I'd like and I can't hold it one handed without putting painful strain on my fingers. I was thinking of selling it. Yes, I am pissed I didn't get to see a whole year. :mad:

Originally I wanted to go for the iPad mini - it's 7.9" which is one of my favourite screen sizes. Unfortunately it lacks the Retina display and only has an A5. Size means a lot to me, but I really want the specs too. If I buy one of the minis, I can also afford 4G LTE... Which is pretty damn cool.

The dilema is, the iPad 4 is 2x as powerful and has the Retina display. I'd still not be super satisfied with the weight/dimensions.

I guess my main questions are:
    -Is the A5 powerful enough for most usage?
    -What happens when newer apps make use of the A6?
    -Is 160 PPI still crisp?
    -Is LTE worth it? (Australian LTE at any rate.)?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Yes

The A5 will remain relevant for quite a while. Most devs are not looking to limit their market.

Yes

Need to ask an Aussie about Australia, but when you have coverage LTE is a significant improvement over 3 G

3. Purant macrumors 6502

If your main complaint is the weight and size, why would you even consider an iPad 4?

4. Kirixis thread starter macrumors member

Kirixis

Thanks.

I'm still really liking the A6X though :S

5. yegon macrumors 68020

I'm thinking of selling the 3 and getting a mini too. I never game on my 3, only use it for a bit of casual browsing at home (rarely, mostly use my MBA otherwise) but would love a smaller iPad for browsing/video when I'm at work/out and about. I use a Kindle (soon to be Paperwhite) for ebook reading. I'll miss the retina display, but otherwise I won't miss anything else about the 3.

Plus, I made the mistake of getting a wifi 3. Although I can tether, it's a pain tbh and it utterly destroys my phones battery, hence why it rarely leaves the house. Cellular is a definite this time for my usage.

6. Byeen macrumors member

Byeen

I'd advise you to check iPad mini in person... While you're using iPad 3rd gen with retina display it would be pretty hard to enjoy your iPad without retina display. Yea, maybe it will be hard to see any pixel on such a small device with resolution of iPad 2, but I believe your eyes are pampered by retina resolution, and you will recognise the pixels on it...

7. Briview macrumors regular

In the same boat as you. I'm selling my 3 and getting a mini. It will probably end up being used much more than the 3 because of the small factor... more portable and lighter. Less hassle to carry and can even game on since developers will be releasing their latest apps with iPad 2 / iPod touch / iPad mini compatibility and won't keep exclusive to the Five and the 4th-gen iPad... which means, everything will still work. Retina Display is a thing to totally miss and admire in the meantime that we'll be using the mini and waiting for the 2nd-gen, which will probably have the higher resolution screen. Wonder how the screen real estate difference will work out! Might take some time getting used to... I can see it being out of the ordinary to hold an Apple device in your hands that's smaller than an iPad, but larger than an iPhone. A weird... niche/sweet-spot, some may say!

8. Liquinn Suspended

Perhaps the mini will get the retina display next year?

9. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I think the iPad Mini is a great size that allows me to use it with so much ease of use compared to the iPad 3 or 4.

Typing on the iPad Mini would be so much easier as well as holding it with one hand or taking it to class to take notes.

The iPad Mini is powerful enough to play any game in the Apple Store so the A5 chip is decent for now.

10. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Consider a doctors appointment, you may have some nerve damage if its causing you extreme pain.

11. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

I am also selling my 3 for a mini, it will hold me over until 5,not impressed with 4.

12. Kirixis thread starter macrumors member

Kirixis

Thanks all!

I'm probably going to try the mini. I'm already in the process of selling it so I'd have to go into a store for direct comparisons.

I don't game that rigorously - Infinity Blade II every other month is about the worst. Otherwise Tiny Wings or Tetris mainly. The iPad 3 is certainly fast enough with the A5X so I probably won't notice.

With the celular - I don't have the option of tethering at the time. However, I am usually at school which has wifi. Flip side is, it's filtered. :(

I mostly use it for school, web and light games. For school, I do the work and don't think about it much. I don't think the gaming will be affected and I'd certainly be curious to see the web browser on the mini. I also wanna know what the keyboard will be like...

I've sort of been building a slip and go system for my consumption habits. I'll read something, move class, continue reading. Or go from reading to not procrastinating :)

I'd also really like to see the Mini 2 because that'll certainly clear up the processor! Perhaps even a retina too - I'd suspect the limitation is the battery technology. That seemed to be a problem for the iPad Big.

About the pane - it's probably just over usage of the finger or repudiative preasure. It's my middle finger :p It's not new though.