All iPads iPad 4 or Mini for student?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bakkp, Nov 11, 2012.

1. bakkp macrumors newbie

Do you think the ipad mini would be good for note taking? I am in high school and I take my macbook pro with me everyday, which is getting very heavy. I have used the ipad 4 and the mini at the apple store, but I just wanted some more feedback from this community. Also, I've used my sister's stylus on her ipad 2 which is really nice for making graphs and taking math notes. And I've noticed that a lot people don't enjoy the non retina display on the ipad mini, but it didn't bother me while I was using it at the store.
    Thanks

2. Kushp14 macrumors regular

Yes it's lighter and easier for notes vs a regular ipad

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Whatever you want. Your money, your purchase. As long as you are happy with it in the end, who the heck cares about what others say?

I have a mini and while I do have some regret about not getting the 4, the weight and size of the mini trumps. It's also really fun to take notes on it with a stylus. If you're going for a stylus, get the Bamboo Duo. Doubles as a pen too.

4. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

depends how you define note taking:
    -typing with BT keyboard -- get the mini; smaller, more portable
    -hand writing -- get the 4; larger screen real estate

5. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Sounds like if you're not careful you will draw all over your tablet xD

6. antwormcity macrumors newbie

If you plan to do lot of reading, papers, and small text, PDFs where u cannot really change font sizes unless u keep pinch zooming, mini may not be the most comfortable on your eyes and for extended usage times. If money is not an issue ipad4 is the way to go, it will still be lighter than your mbp. I was torn between the two and reading for a few mins in store on both devices made it easy for me.

I think ipad4 is also more future proof than mini. Personal opinions. :)

7. bakkp thread starter macrumors newbie

Its just that the mini feels so much better when you hold it and it is more comfortable to use. But at the same time, if I bought it, I would be using it as my main device for school which I am at 7 hours a day and I don't know how using the screen size for that long will be like. I am just so torn between the two... :(

8. FlashHead macrumors regular

bought the mini for that purpose and am having absolutely no regrets so far.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The real estate on the mini is the same as the 4. The mini just writes smaller.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

obviously he means the physical size. It is much easier to write on 10" vs 7.9"

11. cardfan macrumors 65816

Sounds like you need a lighter laptop like an Air. Don't waste time with tablets in school. A pen and notepad will always be best for notes.