iPad 4 or older to iPad Pro 9.7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aypues, Mar 26, 2016.

1. aypues macrumors regular

who else besides me is on an older iPad and upgrading finally?? My 4 has been really laggy, crashy, and all those new features on the Pro are appealing. Will probably pick one up if the initial reviews are favorable.

2. Angelus macrumors 6502

I'm still on my iPad 3 which is running iOS 9.3. For reading textbooks with Kindle it's still useable but Safari etc is quite painful now.

I've decided that now is the time for a new iPad and am struggling to decide between the 128 Gb 9.7 iPP at $1200 NZ and the refurb iPad Air 2 64Gb which is very attractive at $649 NZ

3. Agile55 macrumors regular

Agile55

Still running an IP4, runs well enough but I bit the bullet & have a 9.7" Pro inbound after trying & returning a 12.9" Pro back in Dec/Jan.

4. wesley8631 macrumors newbie

I'm on the 4 too. Probably buying the Air 2 soon. See no reason spending near double the amount for inferior storage

5. aypues thread starter macrumors regular

I'm on one of those grandfathered unlimited AT&T plans and I learned that Apple added another LTE band to their cellular model: band 30. They added another one for Tmo but for me the 30 should help in some areas in the future. The 4 has only like 2 LTE bands for ATT!

6. danbsfc macrumors newbie

Same situation here. Had an iPad 4 since launch having returned my iPad 3 and it's served it's time really well over the last few years. Stopped using it when iOS 8 arrived as it was painful to use but iOS 9 made it usable again. Starting to slow down now and lag so decided the 9.7" Pro is the perfect upgrade for me. Also the fact its a 32bit device and old SoC meant it's time to upgrade to:
    1. Future proof
    2. Enable the new features of iOS 9 (nightshift, true multitasking)

Looking forward to Thursday now!

7. javisan macrumors regular

I have an iPad 4 and will buy a refurb 64gb wifi Air 2 for $419 because I just don't see the purpose or value of paying $330 ($749 - $419) more for a pencil or keyboard feature which I wont use and I don't need 128gb. I would have been fine with paying $599 for a 64gb iPad Pro 9.7, but Apple just stepped up their greediness a notch and I just won't enable them. The Air 2 will do everything I need for a reasonable price.

8. Cowmonk macrumors member

Going from an iPad 3 to a 9.7 pro.

I haven't used it in so long - I stopped using it just because it was unbearably slow to surf with. I have got by on my 6+ for sofa surfing for so long, but that tiny screen just hurts my head.

Will be interesting to see how the ASK works out for me, and if I start using it for more than just consumption. I do an awful lot of SSH'ing and remote desktop for work.

9. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

As long as you're still buying their products, you're still enabling them. Doesn't matter much if it's the latest and greatest or an older refurb.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Hopefully I'll be trading my first gen mini for a 32GB LTE model.

11. RMSko macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat with the AT&T grandfathered unlimited data, although I have the original iPad Air. I don't know how many bands the original Air has, but I'm often running into issues when watching Slingbox. I'm hoping the IPP 9.7 will improve the LTE coverage vs the Air - am I right?

12. dk2000zx macrumors newbie

I upgraded my iPad 3 to the Pro 9.7" as well. Pre-ordered it. My iPad 3 is still running iOS 8.1.2 (jailbroken) and I mainly use it for Youtube and Kodi. I wish I could use it for web browsing as well but it's just so slow and laggy that it's not worth it. Quite an expensive upgrade (almost 1000$ CAD for the 32gb pro 9.7" wifi + a smart cover to go with it) but I'm hoping it's going to last longer than the iPad 3 at almost double the price lol.

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Surprisingly, iOS 9.3 works much, much, much better on the iPad 3 compared to iOS 8. Still a bit laggy but not as bad as before. With iOS 7 and 8, even typing has significant lag for me. Doesn't help you if you need jailbreak, though.

14. dk2000zx macrumors newbie

Oh well, I only need jailbreak to install Kodi. I guess it's too late anyways now that I've preordered the Pro