iPad iPad 4 owner here. I'll be sitting this one out this year

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Jacoblee23, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

My iPad 4 is already lightning fast and I'm tired of trying to keep up with these updates. I'll get the iPad air 2 and hopefully it has touch sensor like my iPhone 5s, and then I'll give my iPad 4 to the kids. Enjoy the iPad air though. It looks really sweet.

2. FoundAHalo macrumors member

FoundAHalo

Yep, it's hard to justify a yearly upgrade on an iPad. I've been skipping a gen since the first one, so happy to be going from a 3 to an Air.

3. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

I don't blame you, I regret selling my ipad4. Nothing revolutionary new in ipad air, light/pretty/gray/fast on paper etc

4. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

I almost kinda disagree. I've been doing the new iPad every year thing. I'm always able to sell my old iPad for about $150 less than what I bought it for, so I'm really only paying about $150 a year for the newest device. Whether or not it's worth it is debatable.

5. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

I don't mind paying same amount every year. I just wish to get something new, not just it is pretty, thin and faster on paper words. Skipping finger reader and wifi AC was stupid by apple, I am looking around now.

6. FoundAHalo macrumors member

FoundAHalo

Fair enough, I cede the point. The resale value is handy, and I also use it to my advantage. My thought was more that the spec-bump on the yearly update hasn't, in my opinion, been worth the upgrade cost for me.

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

For an alternative tablet that has a fingerprint sensor?

8. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Not adding the Touch ID wasn't stupid but rather the result of supply limitations. They've been having trouble meeting sensor production for the 5S as it is, no way they could meet demand if they added the iPad.

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Generally agree it's not economical to buy every generational iPad even if you resell unless u buy the base $499 wifi model to resell.

10. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I skipped the iPad 3 to 4 upgrade as it was a bit faster but mostly about the lightning connector. In this case, however, the iPad 5 is much lighter and roughly twice as fast. Those are not small differences.

I'm slightly disappointed that the WiFi is not ac, but that doesn't seem very important. It did get MIMO. Besides, I rarely , if ever, max out the WiFi connection with 802.11n.

The one thing I wish they would add to the hardware is a better digitizer. Having said that, I'll have to try one to see how good it is for note taking this time around. Part of the issue is having the electronics be fast enough to keep up when you write quickly.

Touch ID would have been interesting but it is not essential.

Regardless, my iPad 3 is being gifted to a family member and I'll get the 5.

11. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

No, for less kids around all these events

12. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I have a 32GB LTE 4th gen. I really wish I had bought the 64GB, then I would be completely happy to keep it another year. Now I'm just trying to convince myself not to sell it and get the 64GB Air...

13. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

I would have upgraded to it if it had TouchID.

14. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

My iPad 3 does everything I ask for. The day it does not meet my requirements, or app support starts to taper off - I will upgrade, to whatever the newest iPad Air version is in the market at that time.

15. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

The new products are better every year. The upgrade from 3 to 4 was huge. After getting the 4 I couldn't have imagined staying another year on the 3 for how slow it was. But if you don't upgrade you don't know what you're missing. Ignorance is bliss.

Honestly I'm tired of upgrading all the time now. I know the iPad air is going to be better than my 4 but upgrading every year is becoming more tedious than it is exciting.

16. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I agree and will wait for a real update before I trade in either in my iPad 4 units. Thinner and lighter is not reason to upgrade. I can't wait till the first a it get bent!:p

17. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

Agreed. I'm going to hold off for now. Every year they claim the new device is twice as fast as the old one. My 5S is NOT twice as fast as the 5, at least not the way I use it. It's tiresome. The iPad 4 is a great tablet and will be for some time. If the air had the fingerprint sensor I would have upgraded, but since it doesn't I'm waiting for the next iPad, or this rumored pro.

18. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

looking around to what? iPad is still the number one tablet, with the app store backing it up. You just said you don't mind paying the same amount every year, so that means you are looking to pay a cheaper price, for a tablet not as good as an ipad?

19. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

The appeal for me is that you get 2X the performance even though they managed to shave off around 28% of the weight. I think this is a much bigger update than iPad 3 to iPad 4. I will for sure update my iPad 4 to the iPad Air :).

20. Vertigo1 macrumors regular

Hardly! TouchID is a nice to have feature but hardly makes a major difference to usage and is more useful on a phone than a tablet IMO. Wifi AC is in the same bracket - sure more speed is always nice but standard N Wifi is hardly slow and not many people have AC compatible routers or access points right now.

Instead they chose to shrink the form factor, make it much thinner and significantly lighter, all features which will have a huge impact on feel and usage for everyone. I think they concentrated on what's important, not frivolous, as they usually do, and their track record speaks for itself.

This is nothing personal but I'm amazed how many people I see online raging about how "stupid" Apple are for doing something or not doing something. I think they know a lot more about what the market wants than any of us do.

21. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

22. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Normally, I'd agree, but for me, the weight reduction sold it. If it was just a marginal decrease, no big deal. But 20 percent lighter is a pretty significant weight loss. It also sealed the deal on me picking the Air over the Mini.

23. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Or Wireless A/C? Or 400,000+ optimized, tablet apps in the eco system? ;)....tough to beat these two offerings---the Air and rMini, I'm with ya.

How do we know it has to do with supply limitations? I keep hearing this come up but it seems like their knocking out iPhone 5s'es pretty quick---other than their complete surprise on the demand for the 'gold' phone...most every Apple, AT&T or Verizon store has one if you walk in. Seems like one of the better roll outs to date. I think it has to do with how many iPhones are stolen each year. It was an epidemic (the press made it out to be anyway) in NYC. The mayor actually told everyone when it released to download iOS7, protect your iPhone. Not just NYC either...but everywhere, it's become one of the easiest products to steal, reset and fence on the black market for 'real' cash. They're worth a lot, and without a way for the carriers or Apple to track 'em down and shut them off when stolen....many folks not using Find My Phone or the thief figuring out a 'wipe' of the phone before the owner has a chance---I think the iPhone got the F/P reader simply because of this problem. The iPad is more of a 'shared' device. Families often ALL use a single one...or sharing between husband and wife...one for the kids to share, etc, etc.

While I don't disagree it could be due to supply constraints, I'm just not sure the iPad had the need for it. Not yet anyway....it's a cool deal, I bought the 5s---but I've never been one to lock down my iPad. Guess I probably should, but I'm not often in situations it could get stolen...it's either with me or at home. Not as easy to leave laying around as a phone.

As well...this is Apple's first shot at getting it 'right'. I think testing it on the iPhone before implementing it across the iOS lineup was the right thing to do. Some are having problems with it. I'm not...works for me 99% of the time and it's extremely convenient....but with the iPads, I'm not so sure it's needed as much as on the iPhone.

I'm with ya----but I've got this weird feeling I won't be able to hold out an entire year on my '4' and original Mini;)
    I love my 4---and you're absolutely dead on the money, 'Ignorance really is Bliss' and if you stay away from them, you'll be fine...on the other hand, once you play with one, feel the weight loss----speed increase, bezel size...it's gonna be tough. My wife is due for an upgrade though....she's still stuck on her iPad 2. She hasn't been interested in updating to the 'retina' 3 or 4----but she's been jealous of my Mini since purchase (I had shoulder surgery a week before the Mini came out...and couldn't hold up my big one...bought it and it was my best bud for a couple months!)....so I'm going to buy her the Mini 2 for Christmas this year... I'll pass her '2' down to our son and sell 'his' OG iPad :)---unbelievable they're still garnering $150-200 bucks!

Why did you bump to the 5s after a year? Agreed....it's not 'obvious' in most applications that it's indeed twice as fast...but I did the same (5 went to my wife, we sold her 4s) and have noticed a performance increase. Spell checking and the speed of the camera---playing with photo and video manipulation in iPhoto and iMovie, opening apps up as well as attachments or accessing docs from DropBox, iCloud, Box, etc....it just seems faster (to me) all the way around. I also agree the iPad 4 is an excellent tablet, it's fast as hell....I can't imagine it being 'twice' as fast---that's an amazing increase in speed, though with you...this time, I don't think I'm going to be in line----though I am going to buy my wife the new Mini for Christmas....and I'll keep my eye out early next year for the refurbs...and consider selling my personal 4 and replace with the Air when some deals start popping up. OR....just wait out a year, haven't tried that:) Imagine the difference, with the A8---maybe double the RAM, double the GPU/CPU power...essentially quadrupling the performance and decreasing the weight significantly from our 4s!

J

24. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

It does? Shortly after release people found themselves having to wait a month for their order.

25. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I believe that's only the 'gold' model...correct?
    Our local Apple store has each model in stock, as do both our local carriers and AT&T. Looks like if you order from the Apple store (other than gold), 2-3 weeks is the expectation, but today they're launching in 35 more countries. IF someone wants a 5s and has a local AT&T, Verizon or Apple store---I'd bet they can pick up the space gray or white/silver model of their choice the day of inquiry...certainly within the week.

Hell, I got mine launch day @ 11:30am @ our Apple Store. Space gray....and I didn't figure I had a chance. I was in there yesterday to check in on the new rMBPs and asked if they had 5s's in stock...their answer was absolutely, unless you want gold---you'd have to check our site after 9pm each evening.

Point being...we have NO idea if the fingerprint system is in short supply, none, zero...zilch! It was some analyst or blogger...or maybe a couple of them that started the rumor long before the iPhone was released. To have 6/7 million ready that first weekend was pretty awesome. We'll see at the end of the quarter how the sales look....and if you check the thread 'stickied' that is titled 'when I ordered and when I got my 5s'....or something of the sort, most folks are getting theirs earlier than expected it seems...directly from Apple (in China;))

J

*Edit* I should mention this is in the US---not sure about other countries.