iPad 4 screen feels sticky after being left in the sun

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gustavo Carvalh, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Gustavo Carvalh macrumors newbie

Hello all,

A couple days ago I left my iPad 4 on my bed with the bedroom window open and went out for a run. I came back about 40 minutes later and the iPad was under direct sunlight. I live in a tropical country, so I could barely touch the iPad when I rescued it. Both the back and the screen were very very hot. I didn't get the temp warning screen though. Anyway, everything is working properly, but I think something must have happened to the screen coating. Since then, the screen feels sticky. My fingers don't slide smoothly on it anymore. I've tried another iPad for comparison and asked people to use mine, and they all corroborate this. It's not a dealbreaker, but it's certainly annoying. The screen was definitely not like this beforehand.

The only think I've tried so far was cleaning it with a damp cloth. Does anyone have a hint on what might have happened and if there is a way to fix it?

Thank you,

Gustavo.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wonder if the oleophobic coating melted or something. Is that even possible?
    That sounds odd and unlike anything I've heard before. Maybe a screen protector will be helpful in aiding against the tacky feeling.

3. Gustavo Carvalh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I might have to get a screen protector if this doesn't get better with time. The strange thing is that if I use my knuckles to scroll I fell no drag at all. Same if I use a cloth. I'm quite sure that the coating is damaged and is offering resistance to the friction ridges of my fingers.