Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vander

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
San Diego, CA
I just got the iPad 4 with LTE, and right out of the box, side by side with my existing iPad 3 I'm noticing a difference in "warmth" of the 4's screen. It definitely looks a little more yellow to me than the iPad 3. Its only been a few hours, and I did not notice it until I put them right next together. I was doing some side by side speed tests...the iPad 4 is faster, not a lot on web surfing, but yes its faster, but when I put them side by side, the screen color difference was noticeable.

So I would be interested if anyone else with an iPad 3 has noticed the difference, or do I now start to worry that maybe I got one with a warmer screen. I had thought that there was not supposed to be any difference in the screens, although now I'm remembering that there were different suppliers and maybe what I'm seeing is two different screens from different suppliers. Does anyone know how I can check on this....

thanks,

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Ipad 3=Samsung. New ipad = LG. I have no issue with a warm temp screen on my ipad. It's much easier on the eyes when surfing the net at nite.

vander

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
San Diego, CA
agreed, its softer on the eyes and easier at night, I was just surprised to see the difference. I'm not complaining,

Also, Thanks I couldn't remember who was responsible for the production, but I do remember and you confirmed that LG was responsible for the new iPad screens so hence the difference. Thanks!

DarkAnnie

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
Opposite for me. My 3 was more yellow while my 4 was a cooler blue. I hope my replacement will be blueish as I strongly prefer the cooler screen.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
Same for me. My iPad 3 has the most neutral white I've ever seen. The iPad 4 is so ever slightly bluer by comparison.

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Well I'm not a photographer, but I read at night a lot. Can anybody with both say if the 4 is easier on the eyes than the bluer 3? Is the 4 less bright than the 3? How about using it during the day under sunlight or a brightly lit room?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Well I'm not a photographer, but I read at night a lot. Can anybody with both say if the 4 is easier on the eyes than the bluer 3? Is the 4 less bright than the 3? How about using it during the day under sunlight or a brightly lit room?

Because the screens differ between two different devices of the same generation, it is impossible to say. For reading at night, the lower the backlight will go, the more control you have over finding the most comfortable reading experience for you. If both devices went down to the exact same level of backlight though, typically the warmer screen would be a little easier on the eyes as you wouldn't have quite the same harshness of contrast for your eyes to deal with.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
I wouldn't look too much into this. My first 3 was warm, my second replacement was nice and white, only to notice it was actually pretty damn blue after comparing to a third and fourth ipad 3.

So color temp on these things is as inconsistent as Apple's CS reps.

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
The yellow is nice. Blue light causes oxidative damage to your retina, since it's closer to the wavelength of UV light. So it's not just in your head that you find the yellow tint easier on your eyes.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I don't know if this is scientifically true or not but I've noticed that my ipad 4 has become less yellow than when I first got it.
I don't think it's simply me 'getting used to it' as I'm grounded by my iPhone 4s' screen. now I simply don't notice a yellowness when moving from iphone to the ipad

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London

Warmer is typically easier on the eyes. Hence sepia as a choice for color digital readers and books printing off white. Again. Typically. Not much is universal!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.