All iPads Ipad 4 significantly better performance than reviews indicate

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Nov 8, 2012.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Disclaimer: I have not yet purchased an iPad 4. I currently own an iPad 3 and have been reading on whether or not the iPad 4 is worth the upgrade. I am also frustrated at the amount of freemium apps being released on the App store.

With that being said...

Apple said that the iPad 4 is 2x as fast as the iPad 3. Reviews so far have argued that this number is theoretical and not really as likely in real world testing. One review indicated that a GL bench test was conducted showing a 53.9 fps score for iPad 3 and a 59.1 fps score for iPad 4 and goes on to state that the speed benefits will not be noticed.

I decided to look into the gl benchmark tests that were conducted and I found something out. The 53.9 fps and 59.1 fps scores were from the egypt classic test which is an outdated version of the 3d graphics test. To get a better indicator of true 3d performance you have to look at the newer Egypt 2.5 test.

On the Egypt 2.5 test the iPad 3 scored an average 22.1 fps and the iPad 4 scored a 41.9 fps. This is the onscreen test which is the most accurate of real world usage under graphics intensive gaming.

This is HUGE!

Though the current iPad games that are out won't seem to be much faster on the iPad 4, you will notice consistently higher frame rates and less frame dips compared to the iPad 3. Games like real racing 2, horn and infinity blade 2 will all be silky smooth and will not suffer from the frame dips that you occasionally see on the iPad 3.

That is the other thing that isn't mentioned in the reviews of the iPad 4. The biggest benefit of the increased graphics and cpu is that games will consistently run at higher fps and stay there compared to on the iPad 3 where they will run at around 30fps and drop down to the 20's or 10's depending on how graphically demanding the game is.

Sorry for the long post, I hope you get what I am saying. I think that the improvements on the Ipad 4 are BIG and definitely should be considered a full improvement rather than just an incremental upgrade.

Heres the link for the gl benchmark http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?D=Apple+iPad+4&benchmark=glpro25

2. weas macrumors member

weas

I had an iPad 3 and I upgraded. You can really feel the difference. To me specially reading big pdf documents (swiping the pages) and playing games.
    I would only recommend the upgrade if you are a "heavy user" ;)

3. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I agree it looks like a good upgrade if you can afford it, but I'll be holding off until the next gen with more upgrades or until my 3 isn't supported.

4. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

I completely agree with you
    For example, NOVA 3 was completely unusable on my iPad 3 (at least for my taste), frame rates were horrible. I didn't even try to finish the game, now with the ipad 4, I finally finished it and with amazing graphics details and frame rates!

The same for PDFs, no more rendering pauses, it works flawlessly, so if you are thinking about getting one, IMO, go for it

5. aka777 macrumors 6502a

I mainly use my ipad for browsing. Looking at the sunspider tests, the ipad 4 is essentially the fastest tablet for browsing the next. It's rapidly approaching desktop grade web browsing performance.

6. blackbelter macrumors member

I was playing Dark Meadows: the pact on iPad 4. Surprisingly, it stutters occasionally, which I did not experience on iPad 2 in the same game. Was quite disappointed at this fact, given all the hypes of the speed of A6X.

Of course it could be a problem of code-optimization. The games was updated in April, long before iOS 6 or iPad 4 was out.

7. anubis1980 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure this is iOS 6 related. Get it on my 3 and 4 in some apps and safari. Hope they get 6 working as smooth as 5 did.

8. Nychot macrumors 6502a

The speed on the ipad3 has always been great. For some reason my mini seems faster tho. And my nexus 7 seems faster than my mini.

9. token787 macrumors regular

token787

I had the headache 3 iPad and I notice a great improvement with the 4. So glad I purchased the 4 with no regrets.

10. walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

UGH!, just swip from homepage to homepage on the nexus and you'll see its smooths as a jigsaw. Nuff said.

11. LucasLee macrumors newbie

Count the number of apps in the AppStore you know that needs to run faster. Then ask yourself why you really need more CPU power? On the PC we need power to run Latest 3D games, does angry bird need faster CPU and GFX? Does it make the bird fly faster? The point I am making is, there are a lot less software that make use of the extra horsepower on the iOS as they are design purposely to be simple.

12. anubis1980 macrumors regular

Now they can design software to look better etc. we will start to see more iPad 4 apps soon