Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Surely we know this:

Facetime will probably be 720p
The camera will go upto 8MP.
Might get a flash.
Thinner (prob same as Ipad 2 again)
Small dock connector
A6 processor

Little else they can do is there? The only surprise might be a few apps again.

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
I just want thinner, lighter, new connector and throw in some earpods

Based on today's keynote, I'd say you'll get thinner and lighter. Apple is obsessed with those features. I don't think you'll get the earpods thrown in free. The main complaints about the iPad 3 will be addressed in the iPad 4: less heat, less weight, and it will definitely have the lightening connector and be thinner.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
My guess is

-A6X processor
-Less heat, lighter and thinner
-New connector
-720p front camera
-5MP camera with flash and better optics. (Apple will always hold something back for the next gen)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
At some point Apple may start using a polycarbonate body, but besides that I think we may see bigger than normal processor upgrades to finally make the iPad more of a laptop replacement. Microsoft is moving in that direction and I don't think Apple wants the iPad to be thought of as a "toy" in comparison.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Surely we know this:

Facetime will probably be 720p
The camera will go upto 8MP.
Might get a flash.
Thinner (prob same as Ipad 2 again)
Small dock connector
A6 processor
One more:

True Global-class 4G LTE radio (even better than iPhone 5)

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
We may see a slightly better battery, more power saving and perhaps even 2GB of RAM for the iPad, its likely since every generation the RAM on the iPad has doubled. The processor may finally be a quad core CPU with better graphics capability then the 3. Same LTE chip as iPhone 5.

Perhaps Apple may offer a 128GB model, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the iPad have 64gb?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
- All-new thinner & lighter design
- Retina display
- Quad-core A6X chip
- 2GB RAM
- 128GB storage capacity
- 5MP iSight camera (improved)
- FaceTime HD camera
- 1080p HD video recording (improved)
- Lightening connector
- 4G LTE (improved)

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
I've updated every year and im a sucker for upgrades (im going from 4S to 5) but to be honest I can't think of anything that would make going from iPad 3 to iPad 4 really that compelling.

If anything then I'd get a 7" but even still I'm not in a rush because what we have now is pretty darn good.

Kolmogorov

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
One thing is for sure.

The improvements will not be as dramatic as the ones from iPad 2 to iPad 3, but Apple will definitely make the iPad 4 extremely compelling for anyone without an iPad 3. Even for those with iPad 3, they will feel their one year old iPad 3 really outdated comparing to the iPad 4.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
- All-new thinner & lighter design
- Retina display
- Quad-core A6X chip
- 2GB RAM
- 128GB storage capacity
- 5MP iSight camera (improved)
- FaceTime HD camera
- 1080p HD video recording (improved)
- Lightening connector
- 4G LTE (improved)

FaceTime HD camera won't be 1080p for sure most likely 720p.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
FaceTime HD camera won't be 1080p for sure most likely 720p.

I actually meant enhanced 1080p video for the iSight camera. I think Apple said they updated it with like better Face detection and other stuff.

But I agree with you about 720p.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Based on today's keynote, I'd say you'll get thinner and lighter. Apple is obsessed with those features. I don't think you'll get the earpods thrown in free. The main complaints about the iPad 3 will be addressed in the iPad 4: less heat, less weight, and it will definitely have the lightening connector and be thinner.

What heat issue? I'm on my eighth episode if Breaking Bad on Netflix on my iPad and its been on non-stop with some web browsing inbetween. It's stone cold.

If you ramp the brightness up to 100% then you may get some heat, but why anyone would need to use it that bright is beyond me. 50% brightness is too much at times!

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I hope the screen will not be uneven

Ha...Ha..Ha.. That is the toughest ask of all. Apple can gurantee you the most fancy features, the most technologlically advanced features in their devices. But they will not gurantee you anything of this sort all Apple Devices in the initial phase of launch will have uneven screens ! Thats for sure ! That what History suggests, we have evidences and so I am presuming it on that basis.

Ask Apple anything else and they will deliver But please do not ask Apple to give you perfect screens right from the word go ! Because even they dont know how to do it ! :p

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I think all these specs seem reasonable.

But the iPads biggest innovations in the next couple of years are going to be software. Thats what I'm excited about.

blackbelter

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
The new ipad: not so much about gaming

I tried the New iPad for a day, and sold it immediately. For me, the charging time taking forever, and the heat generated during 3D gaming didn't add anything positive for sure, but are still bearable. The deal breaker is its laggy performance during 3D gaming, which is the primary reason for me to purchase a New iPad. It's not even so fast as my beloved iPad 2. Considering the future games will be more and more power demanding, the so-called New iPad will get obsolete even faster than the iPad 2.

Now I am convinced that there will be an update to the iPad line in the near future, and I can't wait. Only when the chip gets upgraded to A6 or, more likely, A6X, which hopefully is what's gonna happen, could the iPad with retina display assume its rightful place.

But for people who do not care about gaming, the New iPad as it is is probably already very nice. After all, the retina display is truly stunning.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I was hoping they might go at least pure quad-core for the next ipad, because I tend to experience severe lag when rendering graphics on my new ipad. Not sure if even the A6 chip will suffice.

It seems they have managed to create a thinner screen. Not sure how that compares with the rumoured IGZO screen, but thinner ipad4s are definitely a reality (together with even shaper colours and less glare). :)

I would upgrade my new ipad solely for better graphics rendering alone. I am using one in my classroom (together with apple tv), and it tends to lag (most noticeably on goodreader, which also crashes once in a while).

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I tried the New iPad for a day, and sold it immediately. For me, the charging time taking forever, and the heat generated during 3D gaming didn't add anything positive for sure, but are still bearable. The deal breaker is its laggy performance during 3D gaming, which is the primary reason for me to purchase a New iPad. It's not even so fast as my beloved iPad 2. Considering the future games will be more and more power demanding, the so-called New iPad will get obsolete even faster than the iPad 2.

Now I am convinced that there will be an update to the iPad line in the near future, and I can't wait. Only when the chip gets upgraded to A6 or, more likely, A6X, which hopefully is what's gonna happen, could the iPad with retina display assume its rightful place.

But for people who do not care about gaming, the New iPad as it is is probably already very nice. After all, the retina display is truly stunning.

Care to elaborate which 3D games lag? I've got an extensive games collection and none lag on my new iPad.

As for the old NOVA 3 resolution vs full effects (before its brought up), that's long been a compromise for PC gamers.

blackbelter

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Care to elaborate which 3D games lag? I've got an extensive games collection and none lag on my new iPad.

As for the old NOVA 3 resolution vs full effects (before its brought up), that's long been a compromise for PC gamers.

The few games that I tried: modern combat: fallen nations, real racing 2 and the act. The first is laggy in the beginning, and eventually went ok. The second lags like hell, especially in the manual screen. The third is a 2d game, but still lags a too much to my taste.

I agree that games run ok on the new iPad for the most part, but my following points still stand true:

Firstly, none of the games that I tried on the new iPad run, albeit at a higher resolution, as smoothly as they do on my iPad 2, and thus the new iPad will get obsolete faster than the iPad 2;

Secondly, considering that the current games already appear to be exhausting the power of a5x, I doubt it will stand up to future games any better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.