iPad iPad 4 suddenly showing it's age.....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dantracht, Mar 7, 2015.

1. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

My rock solid 2.5 year old iPad 4 is suddenly showing it's age.

Strange issues include:

-Safari has slowed down to the point of being unusable. It takes up to a minute for typing a search term to register. I'm using Chrome and it works far better.
    -The amount of usable storage (I have a 16GB version) goes from having 6.2GB available to NOTHING available within seconds, then goes back up to having 6.2 available, this is with NO apps running and nothing loaded. It literally drops before my very eyes.

I did a full wipe and restore this week, set it up as new, and loaded all the apps over again and these issues persist.

My venerable iPad has, in the space of a few days, gone from my favorite go-to device to a source of frustration. Is it showing it's age? It is a software issue that 8.2 might resolve? Is it an issue with an app? Who knows and I don't want to spend hours figuring it out.

I just think that this year is the year I retire the old girl, when the new iPads come out this fall.

Perish the thought, but my 6+ and......gasp.....Fire HD 7 are taking up the slack.

Suddenly looking forward to the iPad Air 3.

2. Matheew944 macrumors regular

I was an Ipad 4 owner for 2.5 years.Upgraded to Air 2 so faster, thinner, lighter, . so fast especially if use Safari and play games

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Well it doesn't look like there was anything wrong with your hardware - that will either completely work or will stop working at all. Since you mentioned that you did a full wipe and restore - have you considered that any bugs or settings rot could have reappeared with the restore? Have you tried setting it up once again as a new iPad?

4. Altis macrumors 68000

It's likely iOS 8 that's caused it such difficulty. Too bad you can't revert back to a working version.

Hopefully future updates cure it. We endlessly hear that 8.2/8.3 are in the works.

I do find it interesting that you'd want another iPad after this, as if it won't just happen again.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The problem is you updated it to iOS8 which slowed it down.

6. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I have an iPad 3 and while I have noticed it lagging more, I definitely don't consider it unusable. It is still my go-to device. I do plan on upgrading it to the new iPad, either late this year or early next year, I don't foresee me using it any less until then...

7. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

I had an iPad 1 until recently. Yep, it was bad, but what I did notice was that the Apple apps slowed down pretty badly or got really unstable but third party apps were just as good as ever.

I'll avoid my usual conspiracy theories about this, and just suggest you try to find some third party apps that do the stuff you previously used Apple apps for.

8. macmee Suspended

macmee

you should see my iPad 3

not buying another iPad ever again.

9. qcmacmini macrumors 6502

My iPad 4 works flawlessly, but it's not going to get updated beyond 7.1.2 ;)

10. dantracht thread starter macrumors regular

dantracht

UPDATE: I figured out what the problem was. I restored my iPad plugged into iTunes, vs OTA, set it up as new and loaded my apps one by one. It was either the "vidgets" app or the "launcher" app. I am almost positive it was vidgets, which shows you the settings data (memory space left, etc) on the widgets screen. Since not installing the app back it has worked as good as it always did.

Alls well that ends well. I am still going to upgrade to the new iPads this fall.