iPad mini iPad 4 to iPad Mini w/ Retina 2. Downgrade or Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ImKay, Oct 12, 2014.

1. ImKay macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I currently have an iPad 4 16GB wifi and I am hoping for a revised iPad mini with retina display to be announced this Thursday. Now here's the thing, I want to buy the mini because I like the idea of a smaller form factor and more portability, I think the wifi 64GB (Given they scrap 32GB as an option like they did with the iPhone) would be perfect for me. I used to bring my iPad around with me to college etc but then soon stopped as I realised the form factor was a tad to big for my liking. I use the iPad for browsing, taking notes and general media consumption. (I also jailbreak them because I like to tinker with things here and there, but that isn't too important to me right now.)

So here's my overarching question, would buying a mini be a downgrade.

I've read that the screen is not accurate, however I am not using it for media production, I use my pc for that.

I'm not too sure how well the battery life is on the mini? I've seen reviews say its similar but thats very vague and I don't think that a review written a week after a device has been purchased is a good indication of battery life :confused: - I want it to consistently last 9-10 hours like my current iPad.

Other things; touch ID is nice, I have it on my jailbroken iP5S and its an absolute joy to use.

2. Trahearne, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

Trahearne macrumors 6502

I am planing to do the same thing, though I have a cellular one instead. I would say it is absolutely an upgrade if you value the smaller form factor (i.e. mobility) more than a having larger display, which shows same amount of content in 1024 x 768 points, but 22.7% larger point size (162 pt/in vs 132 pt/in, not sure if they would change it for air 2). Battery life doesn't seem to have a large disparity between the current two, and you can expect that the display quality would be improved for a new generation (though if you don't care about color accuracy it is no big deal).

3. ImKay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, with todays leaks, im almost 100% sure ill be taking the plunge