All iPads iPad 4 to iPad Pro 9.7 dilemma ;)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by debslol, Sep 3, 2016.

1. debslol macrumors newbie

I've been rocking my iPad 4 since date of release. Last year I cracked the glass by the power button it hadn't caused any problems unless I went outside moisture would affect it. Well yesterday it started acting up and I thought the glass was just worn out....pages would jump....when I went to hit a button on page no response. So I hurried up to Best Buy and picked up the 9.7 pro right before they closed....god forbid I don't have my device!! I did purchase AppleCare which I hadn't in the past and wondering if I really need it. Well this AM checked my iPad 4 and low and behold it's working again. I love that trusty device!! But!!! I'm in love with the pro too when I played some music I was blown away by the sound!! I promised myself that if the 4 started working again I would return the pro and I don't think I can lol. What would you do. I was thinking of trying to sell the 4 for 50 or 75 but then thinking to have it for a spare to stream on bed room tv. Decisions decisions....damn apple....lol

2. Bromio macrumors 6502

No comments.

3. Math889 macrumors 65816

U can stick with your iPad one more year , IOS 11 won't support 32 bit devices.and buy 2017 iPad Pro 2
    Or buy iPad Pro 1 now
    --- Post Merged, Sep 3, 2016 ---
    As long as ur device support IOS , there is no reason to upgrade.Stick with ur IPad 4 one more year

4. debslol thread starter macrumors newbie

The only thing that is holding me back from returning is the touchscreen issue. I don't want to be one of those that buy return buy :oops:

5. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Keep both, especially since the 4 won't be worth much. Make the pro your main device and use the 4 as a media device like you mentioned. Also remember - just because the 4 is working today doesn't mean it will be tomorrow.

6. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 6502a

Suckfest 9001

Let's put it this way - the promise you made yourself was a test of self-discipline, and you seem to be failing that test right now.

I sure as hell failed my test, as I sit next to an iPad Pro 9.7 that I definitely shouldn't realistically have purchased at this point. B-b-but that performance though :O

But really, I would have probably been OK with an iPad 4, for one more year at most. It's not slow enough to be obsolete. As the poster above said: the iPad 4 works now, but it might not work tomorrow. Well, the iPad Pro is going to still be on store shelves tomorrow, so...

7. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Return. Always able to purchase an iPad.

8. aces99 macrumors 6502

aces99

I have the 9.7" iPad Pro as well and just love it. The 4 speaker system is way better and louder. Plus all the extra goodies like fully laminated screen, Touch ID, better camera & battery, pencil support, Apple Pay and everything else it is definitely an upgrade. Most likely your iPad is going to act up again. So you might as well keep the new iPad and enjoy it. You can either keep the old one or sell it and help pay for the new one which is what I would probably do as yo can take the new one with you wherever you go. Or you can take the new one back and get your money back. Then just keep your old one and wait until it dies again and then go buy the new one. But I would keep the new knee and sell the old one if it was me. The 9.7" iPad Pro is so nice and my go to device. I hardly use my desktop anymore.

9. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Keep that 4. I upgraded to a Air 2 earlier this year, and love how much lighter, faster and better at multitasking it is than my iPad 4, but I have kept the 4 around for e.g. Going on trips where the device could be damaged e.g. bachelor weekends, boys weekends etc...

10. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

If you won't get much resale value then keep it. See if you fix the glass or have it repaired for you, if it lacks a finger print reader that is.

11. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Keep the Pro. The iPad 4 has already had a blip. Technology does not just get better, once the signs of degradation have begun it will come back.

12. debslol thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone I do like the pro!! My concern is what if the 4 is breaking down. which is what sent me to BB before closing....I can't live without it....lol. I am going to keep hubby didn't have a fit about the pro he was impressed at how long the 4 lasted being I am on it everyday and being handicapped I do spend a lot of time indoors or sedentary. My laptop is soo old and I will not replace because I use iPad more than anything. Haven't been on a computer in forever. Now next question.....to keep AppleCare or not. How many of you purchase apple care and find it useful. I am going to make a separate post for this as well. Thx everyone!!

13. aces99, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016

aces99 macrumors 6502

aces99

Ya I would keep the Pro as most likely the iPad 4 is going to start acting up again. Now to answer your question personally if the iPad is in a good case with protection on the front and back you shouldn't have a problem. I have had all of my iPhones & iPads in full cases and have dropped them numerous numerous times and have never had any of them break down and need to be repaired, not once. I have never bought AppleCare+ and have never needed it. So for me I find that it is not necessary to get it. But if your iPads have needed repairs then it might be worth getting it. But AppleCare+ only gives you an extra year and I find that if your device does need to be repaired the AppleCare usually has already expired and is out of warranty. So usually it is a waist anyhow. But if you tend to break your iPads quite often then it might be worth it, lol.