iPad 4 vs iPad 5. Is it worth to wait?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by asiandude87, Jul 10, 2013.

1. asiandude87 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I know that this question has been around for quite sometime, but now that we are closer to ipad release (according to rumors july 2013, it will be released september, I know it is only 2 months away), what are the major changes from Ipad 4 to iPad 5 ?
    If you want one, would you buy a refurbished ipad 4 ( save around $100), or you would wait for the ipad 5?

Also, in your opinion, how long do you think ipad 4 processor/GPU will run games with high performance?

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We don't know what the differences will be. Most people are speculating a faster processor and a thinner design. Maybe even a better battery but until apple releases the info, its all wild guesses.

3. asiandude87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hear you. I have been doing my research and it is all speculations. I just want to have a second opinion. Thanks

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I think its worth the wait. If its not, then you can still get the iPad 4 then for cheaper than it is now :]

5. asiandude87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I i just don't want to wait and all the sudden it is just minor updates, and an Ipad would be very useful right now. My computer just died and I have to borrow from my wife whenever I need to send big e-mails or just do some stuff that I can't do on my Iphone. I feel bad doing it because she uses it for work all the time.

6. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I think that the iPad 5's one last thing will be massive energy saving capabilities similar to Mavericks.

When can only hope :D

7. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

That is a dilema. Well, think of this. As of now the iPad 4 is the most powerful iPad available, so it should be able to run any high performance game thats in the app store, so thats nothing to worry about ATM. The iPad 5 will be thinner and look more like the iPad mini, so it will have a slightly smaller form factor than the iPad 4 (smaller bezzel around the side of the screen). Speculation is that the A7 will be incorporated into the new iPhone, so its likely we will see that in the new iPad. The issue is we dont know what kind of power it will be compared to the A6 or A6X.

So at this point its preference. If having the latest and greatest isnt a big deal to you, then I would suggest getting the 4 now to make both your and your wife's lives easier. If it bothers you too much to get an model that will soon be out of the spotlight, I would suggest either pushing through on your phone. Another option if having the latest and greatest is a must, is to buy the refurb 4, take a small loss in selling it when the 5 comes out and purchase that one.

8. asiandude87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your answer. That was the answer I was looking for and it helped a lot in my decision. =)

9. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

I have the ipad 3 right now and am in the same boat. It is taking forever to charge and have been debating this for a couple do days now. I am anxious to get the four but with the rumors I am hearing about a smaller bezel I am going to try and hold out. Plus I am praying for 256GB but its not a need. I use my iPad everyday and I know that apple will say the processor will be twice as fast and have a better camera. So I am holding out. Hope that helps.

10. tazz3 macrumors regular

its not worth the waite. get the ipad 4 now and have fun.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

imho, If the iPad 5 is yet another spec bump along with the iPad mini ID, then it's not worth waiting for.

If Apple has left out of iOS7 some great new iPad feature (like dual portrait apps in landscape mode for proper multitasking) that will only be supported on the iPad5, then it is worth waiting for.

I think both are about equally lucky. Flip a coin today to decide.

12. wc17 macrumors member

If the iPad 5 is a spec bump ALONG with a thinner/lighter form factor then its TOTALLY worth the wait. I cant understand those saying it wouldnt be.

What else are people waiting for at this point?

If you dont have an iPad...IMO you wait unless you need it tomorrow...but I dont see any reason why someone would NEED an iPad tomorrow...

13. tazz3 macrumors regular

i have a refurbished ipad 4 i paid 499 for 32 gig from the apple store.
    its awesome this thing is brand new, i will never buy new again.
    i dont care what anybody says about refurbished ipad 4