iPad iPad 4 vs iPad Air: Safari refresh issue

Discussion in 'iPad' started by saintforlife, Mar 22, 2014.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Which of these two models will have fewer Safari refreshes and general SW crashes? Is the iPad 4 better even with its older 32bit processor given the same limited memory both these models have?

2. pazaakshark macrumors newbie

No, if anything the iPad 4 will experience more crashes.

Although they both have 1GB of RAM, I would assume the 64-bit processor and the fact that iOS 7 is built for the Air generation of iPads would give the it a slight edge.

3. MacMandy macrumors 6502

MacMandy

My husband has the iPad 4 and I have the Air. He got very fed up with crashes and refreshes and uses Chrome now. I don't have crashes, but still have tabs reloading even with 7.1. He seems fine.

4. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I have an iPad 4 and never experienced any issues with Safari crashing or being slow for that fact.

5. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is the 64-bit process to blame for the Safari refresh issue?

How is it that I can have 10-12 Safari tabs open on my iPhone 5 and none of it refreshes when I switch to a new tab, but with my iPad Air I have barely 4-5 tabs open and as soon as I switch tabs, the new tab refreshes? iOS 7.1 did nothing to improve this behavior. The only difference I can think of is the 32-bit vs 64-bit processors. After all both of them have the same 1GB of RAM.

The most frustrating aspect of using Safari on the iPad Air is trying to copy and paste links, pictures etc. to a forum post like this one. For instance - this has happened many times - I'd would have take a lot of pain to write a long post and just when I copy and paste one last link and I switch to my newly composed forum post, the page refreshes causing me to lose all my work. It is annoying as hell. I don't know how people put up with this kind of sub-par experience. My 18 month old iPhone 5 has a much better user experience than my newer iPad Air. How is that even possible? :shakemyhead:

6. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I can appreciate the going back and forth and losing information between tabs. It is a bit ridiculous that the technology we use in 2014 has that limitation. Honestly it's not worth the aggravation though. Anytime I cut and paste I do into notepad, I don't trust the tabs.