iPad iPad 4 WiFi to iPad Air 2-Worth Upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lakerchick4life, Oct 16, 2014.

1. lakerchick4life macrumors 6502

I have a question..I have the iPad 4 right now(64gb wifi) definately want to upgrade since I feel like my iPad is so old..I already put it on Craigslist but so far no takers..was wondering, first of all, if upgrading to the newest iPad Air 2 is worth it, coming from an iPad 4 user..and secondly, is Best Buy the best place to take my old iPad 4 to for a trade in since so far they are offering me the most money for it(287.00)

2. jigzaw macrumors 6502

iPad 4 owner here. I don't plan to upgrade. If I was loaded, then yeah, I'd upgrade every year and not even think about it, but there isn't enough new here to warrant me spending the cash to replace a perfectly great-working iPad. I also am not a constant iPad-user. I do most things on my phone or laptop so I'm really more of a casual netflix-in-bed iPad user.

The most compelling things to me are the thin factor (the iPad 4 is a heavy beast by comparison so that would be nice), the lower reflectiveness, and maybe the faster processing. But it's still running the same resolution, which is now a much lower dpi than the new iPhones, so I'm not compelled to replace my ipad when the new one basically has the same quality display.

What I'm waiting for- to find out about this "ipad Pro". Since next year I expect to get the iPhone 6 Plus S, I will find less of a difference between ipad and iphone than there currently is for me and I might find a bigger iPad more interesting.

Pie in the sky- I've heard random rumors about future versions of ipads with sophisticated haptic texture-simulation and also Apple's been snapping up patents of 3D and even holographic displays. I know that's a ways off, but until then an iPad is just an iPad and a couple generations still isn't enough of an upgrade to justify the expenditure for me.

3. lakerchick4life thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess it would be worth upgrading if I can use the 10 percent off movers coupon at best buy, get the 287.00 right on the spot and pick it up in store..for me this would be a good upgrade, but still not sure if this will have 2gb of ram or not..the color option, I dont even know what the gold will look like, will it be a dark gold or a light goldish color

4. ttbhg macrumors newbie

I am in the same boat. I have an iPad 4 that I was wanting to upgrade to the Air 2. Gotta be honest, after looking at the release, I'm pretty sure I'll either wait another year or wait until someone has a big sale.

There isn't a single feature on the Air 2 that I feel I have to rush out and buy it because mine doesn't have it. I'm fairly dissapointed, honestly.

5. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I'm still wondering if it's worth to over my 3. Almost rather keep my 3 and buy a refurb 13" Haswell MacBook Pro.

6. saltd macrumors 6502

saltd

The light weight of the ipad Air vs. the 4 is a really pleasant improvement. I'd say it's a great time to upgrade.

7. lakerchick4life thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a 10 percent movers coupon for best buy so I might use that on this iPad Air 2..but I am gonna wait for confirmation that it has 2GB of RAM..also with my Discover card I can get 10 percent cash back so it would work out pretty good for me..trade in old iPad, get 287 bucks for that, plus 10 percent off plus cash back but am going to wait and see no rush on it

8. saltd macrumors 6502

saltd

It'll likely be the champagne gold of the iPhone 6 and 6 plus. Apple likes continuity. I have the 6 plus in gold, and it's honestly not a great looking shade of gold. Reminds me of a box of Marlboro Lights.

9. lakerchick4life thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe I will just stick with the white one then..like the old saying goes, stick with what you know..my old iPad 4 is white, Ive had a black iPad before but fell in love with the white one..guess I will have to see the gold one before I consider it

10. puma1552 macrumors 601

ive got a 64 gig wifi 4 as well, amd am also on the fence for upgrading...but that $287 offer isnt going to last long...

11. lakerchick4life thread starter macrumors 6502

I put it on Craigslist with the original box it came in and a swivel case for 410 bucks and no one has bitten on it..guess Im asking for too much or no one is interested in an almost 3 year old iPad..Im not sure how long that Best buy offer has been around..what I was going to do is pre order it, use the movers coupon code, get the 10 percent deducted from the price, then when the ipad becomes available, go to best buy and trade in my old one so that I can get the difference adjusted on the price, not sure if I can do that

12. Sissyboy macrumors regular

Sissyboy

I upgraded from my 4 last year to the Air.

It was well worth it. Just weight alone was worth it.

I would upgrade to the Air 2 in a heartbeat and never look back.

13. lakerchick4life thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that is what I am going to do..just waiting on confirmation of the 2GB of ram which I believe to be the case but waiting for more info. Will do the trade in at best buy seems to be giving me the most money for the iPad 4 right now. Im surprised, usually on Craigslist I get emails like crazy for my iPad, no one has sent me one message, guess not too many takers for a few year old iPad

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The 4 might be a bit old but it handles all the tasks that I use it for well. So yeah it depends what u do with it and then there's people that have to have the latest toys.

15. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I am upgrading from iPad 3 and I really wanted the touch ID function as it's very convenient plus the fact that its faster, more memory, more storage, antireflective coating is a plus to sweeten the pot. Yes its worth upgrading even from a iPad 4 in my opinion.