Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Obviously we would assume it runs fine since they still sell the iPad 4, presumably now shipping with iOS 8, but can anyone confirm how well it runs? Love my 4 to bits and while I am thinking about an Air 2 this year, I would be perfectly happy with the iPad 4 for another year if it ran as seamless with iOS 8 and it does with iOS 7.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
My iPad 4 runs just as well as it did on 7. I have no desire to upgrade for at least another year!

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
Runs OK, but is annoyingly sluggish when scrolling the albums view in Photos or nested bookmarks in Safari. There are much less tab refreshes in Safari, though. That alone makes 8.0 a worthy update.

aypues

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
Not worth it

Barely different from iOS7. I'm having REALLY strange battery issues. One minute i'm at 60% and the next thing you know it's at 0 and turning itself off without any warning. Safari is really sluggish now when trying to open a new tab. Overall crappy.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Don't do it! Stay on 7.1.2! It's way smoother! I just downgraded my i5 and now I'm in the process of downgrading our iPad 4. Everything is faster on 7.1.2. Right after I put 8 on the iPad 4 I noticed about a half second lag when opening apps. Really annoying! Choppy animations too and the memory management is worse! Take it from me stick with 7.1.2!

iOZZY

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Stamford, England
The iPad 4 is still a great tablet and should be on form once iOS 8 is "optimised". Like iOS 7 the iPhone side was far more advanced than the iPad on initial release and took a fair few revisions to get the iPad working without lag/stutter (remember the 5 finger gesture stutter, yuck!).

Biggest issue for me is the performance of Safari. Why change it from iOS 7?

Ok, not too many problems but I hate the sluggish scrolling/transitions in the bookmarks menu, in the share menu 2 airdrop icons and text try to form on top of each other, 5 finger gesture sometimes stops working (swipe up of the control centre cures it temporarily) plus other user reported problems.

An option to stop the address and favourites bar from disappearing would be good too.

Battery life for me seems to have remained good with usage time of 14 hrs 7mins on continuous 3G cellular usage.

Last edited:

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
I have the 4th gen iPad and IOS 8 seems ok on mine. I do have one question, and don't mean to take over this thread. But, can you Airplay to speakers connected to an Airport Express? My 4th gen only see's my Apple TV when attempting to Airplay.

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Don't do it! Stay on 7.1.2! It's way smoother! I just downgraded my i5 and now I'm in the process of downgrading our iPad 4. Everything is faster on 7.1.2. Right after I put 8 on the iPad 4 I noticed about a half second lag when opening apps. Really annoying! Choppy animations too and the memory management is worse! Take it from me stick with 7.1.2!

That is sad because I find 7.1.2 to be poor on my ipad 4. :( when it was on 6 it was as smooth as silk.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Just updated from iOS 7.1.2 to iOS 8.0.2 and so far so good on my iPad 4, yes I do notice a slight stutter here and there but overall much faster and I'm loving the new iOS keyboard.

Jensend

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2008
I found iOS 7 to be a downgrade from iOS 6 in just about every way it changed, but I really like all the changes in iOS 8, especially Safari.

This is on an iPad 3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.