iPad iPad 4 with iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by puma1552, Sep 20, 2014.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Obviously we would assume it runs fine since they still sell the iPad 4, presumably now shipping with iOS 8, but can anyone confirm how well it runs? Love my 4 to bits and while I am thinking about an Air 2 this year, I would be perfectly happy with the iPad 4 for another year if it ran as seamless with iOS 8 and it does with iOS 7.

2. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

Not as smooth for me as 712 but it's livable.

If you don't need to update you shouldn't

3. RichP74 macrumors regular

My iPad 4 runs just as well as it did on 7. I have no desire to upgrade for at least another year!

4. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

5. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

Me neither. The 4 is a great tablet.:)

6. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

Runs OK, but is annoyingly sluggish when scrolling the albums view in Photos or nested bookmarks in Safari. There are much less tab refreshes in Safari, though. That alone makes 8.0 a worthy update.

7. aypues macrumors regular

Not worth it

Barely different from iOS7. I'm having REALLY strange battery issues. One minute i'm at 60% and the next thing you know it's at 0 and turning itself off without any warning. Safari is really sluggish now when trying to open a new tab. Overall crappy.

8. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Don't do it! Stay on 7.1.2! It's way smoother! I just downgraded my i5 and now I'm in the process of downgrading our iPad 4. Everything is faster on 7.1.2. Right after I put 8 on the iPad 4 I noticed about a half second lag when opening apps. Really annoying! Choppy animations too and the memory management is worse! Take it from me stick with 7.1.2!

9. iOZZY, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

iOZZY macrumors member

The iPad 4 is still a great tablet and should be on form once iOS 8 is "optimised". Like iOS 7 the iPhone side was far more advanced than the iPad on initial release and took a fair few revisions to get the iPad working without lag/stutter (remember the 5 finger gesture stutter, yuck!).

Biggest issue for me is the performance of Safari. Why change it from iOS 7?

Ok, not too many problems but I hate the sluggish scrolling/transitions in the bookmarks menu, in the share menu 2 airdrop icons and text try to form on top of each other, 5 finger gesture sometimes stops working (swipe up of the control centre cures it temporarily) plus other user reported problems.

An option to stop the address and favourites bar from disappearing would be good too.

Battery life for me seems to have remained good with usage time of 14 hrs 7mins on continuous 3G cellular usage.

10. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I'm happy with the performance of iOS8 on my 4th gen iPad. Yes, it could be a little less sluggish and stuttery, but I like the new features. I wish SMS relay worked.

11. bt22 macrumors 6502

I have the 4th gen iPad and IOS 8 seems ok on mine. I do have one question, and don't mean to take over this thread. But, can you Airplay to speakers connected to an Airport Express? My 4th gen only see's my Apple TV when attempting to Airplay.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That is sad because I find 7.1.2 to be poor on my ipad 4. :( when it was on 6 it was as smooth as silk.

13. Tsepz, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Apparently iOS 8.0.1 is out already, may upate tomorrow at work.

14. henhowc macrumors regular

seems to lag slightly but not super noticeable. i think you'll be ok until at least ios 9 :p

15. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Well, I get by on the iPad 3, so your iPad 4 will be fine.

16. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Just updated from iOS 7.1.2 to iOS 8.0.2 and so far so good on my iPad 4, yes I do notice a slight stutter here and there but overall much faster and I'm loving the new iOS keyboard.

17. Jensend macrumors regular

I found iOS 7 to be a downgrade from iOS 6 in just about every way it changed, but I really like all the changes in iOS 8, especially Safari.

This is on an iPad 3