iPad 4 with Lightning Connector?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vega07, Sep 12, 2012.

1. vega07 macrumors 65816

I firmly believe the move to this Lightning Connector is a bad one for consumers (all the universal docks rendered paperweight, paying more for adaptors, car incompatibility, etc.)

I got to thinking that it will probably find its way into the next generation iPad. Which means the Camera Connection Kit that is no more than 2 years old that I just recently purchased will also become useless.

First world problem...yes...but I can't help but feel disappointed.

2. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

the new connector is an excellent improvement

3. amazonpam macrumors member

Just read somewhere that he new dock connector has a sensor that will reject unauthorized cables. Up goes the price of cables!!

4. spraulin macrumors newbie

And your basis for that comment is? The "lightening" connector is still at USB2.0 and apart from being smaller than the 30 pin connector offers no obvious benefit over micro USB.

Just Apple wanting to be proprietary is the only reason for not using micro USB.

5. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

it's smaller. huge huge improvement for the iphone itself

there's no wrong way of inserting it.

it's not micro usb. those are hideous

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

If it is like the Dock connector, it will supply significantly more power than a standard USB. That is pretty important for the iPad at a least.

7. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

With the iPhone 5, which is a completely new design I can understand a Lightning Connector with it. But I am still figuring out what is it, that it will be considered a quantum Leap over the existing connector cable. I mean what is it that the current connector will miss or is at disadvantage with respect to Lightning connector !

8. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

smaller, so they could cram more into iPhone

no wrong way of inserting it

solidly built, unlike micro-USB

9. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Yeah But nothing HUge that the current iPad's or iPhone's with the 9 pin connector will miss so much isn't it ?

10. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

it's just a connector. they can't put stereoscopic 3d or haptic touch on a connector. what do you want?

smaller, better built, reversible........3 features

11. Liquinn Suspended

So the iPad 4 should have an A6 processor. Surely?

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

At the very least. Maybe it will have an "A6X"... An A6 with more graphical power to handle the substantially higher display resolution versus the iPhone.

13. Liquinn Suspended

I see. Looks like the iPad 4 or iPad mini will be my next purchase(s).

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Then why call it a "lightning" connector? That implies that it transfers data faster than the previous connector or is better in some other significant way. The 30 pin connector is well built, so smaller and reversible are the only benefits I see. I'll I've read so far is that it allows Apple to build thinner devices.

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

We probably won't know the full benefit of this new connector until accessories are released.

16. appswipe macrumors 6502

Did you see how much the converter for the lightning adapter is?

Apple Store: Lightning Adapter $29

[​IMG]
    I thought it would be $10 like the magsafe connector. $29 seems a bit of a cash grab considering most users have a decade worth of car adapters, speakers, alarm clocks etc that they would like to buy an adapter for. (Plus, that little nub looks like it will snap right off. Is it metal or plastic?)

----------

Actually, from what I understand this is a less capable connector because things like video output are no longer supported. So the full benefit might simply be "its smaller".

BTW. "Thunderbolt" and "Lightning" sound so cool but is there even a thunderbolt version? And if not then why did they call it "Lightning"?

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I hope you're being sarcastic. You left off the ":rolleyes:"

18. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

All we know for certain is that video output is not supported through the dock adapter.

19. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

As a person who used to get professional hardwired car kits for Nokia phones, I had to change the car kit every single year with a new phone.

So to me, the 9-year age of the Apple connector is exceptionally long.

20. Elbon macrumors 6502a

Elbon

How so? It makes the device easier to use and seems a lot less fragile than the current connector. That seems like an improvement to me.

21. Cyno macrumors newbie

The move to the new connect doesn't really effect the usefulness of the current connectors with the devices we have now my iPod classic, my wifes iPhone 4S and my iPad 3 will all use the connectors I have.
    However I have already had to replace my iPhone connector 3 times because it broke my kids keep taking the Monster cable I bought and extra cos because it was more robust than the apple cable and so I will be very happy if the new connector is tougher when I actually get my hands on the new iPhone.
    I will have to buy a new in car holder but the old one will go to my wife who has a 4S so no big loss.
    When I had a blackberry for work each version resulted in throwing away the desk charger and spare batteries I had to have to get through a work day so an update after 9 years seems pretty reasonable to me.