iPad 4 with solar bezel

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPadPublisher, Aug 22, 2012.

1. iPadPublisher macrumors 6502

Friend of mine installed a small, very thin solar panel on the roof of his suv that trickle charges his battery. The main idea is to keep it from ever completely draining should something be left on, etc.

Wondering if that same concept could make its way to an iPad. Slow solar charge. iPads lay around a lot...

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Not in the bezel but they do have a patent where the solar voltaic cell is imbedded in the screen itself.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's nifty on a truck, but on an iPad? I NEVER leave mine in an area where it gets enough sunlight to even think about it being charged like that. It's hard enough to charge without using the big brick that came with it.

If you want solar charging, it would be smarter to set up solar cells outdoors pointing south and then creating a dedicated battery/outlet setup to use for that. Otherwise, you're probably wasting your time and photons.

4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

There's not enough surface area on the back of iPad to meaningfully charge it, much less on the bezel. 8 hours of charging would probably net you 5 minutes of usage.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Many moons ago it took a panel the size of an open MacBook 13 to charge my windows phone 2005 ish and it was 8 hours to charge it

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hope not. I'm not outside enough with the iPad. Unless I start taking it with me everywhere I go ...

7. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Arn't we running out of those?:D

8. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

It would be better if the smart cover did this.

9. iPadPublisher thread starter macrumors 6502

True...

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

I have one of these, which couples a fairly robust solar panel to a battery:

http://solarjoos.com/

Even then I could barely recharge my original iPad with it and the current iPad gets barely a trickle. The technology is getting there but it's definitely not there yet.

11. iPadPublisher thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like the technology isn't there yet. Interesting though...

12. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

not until solar technology has improved substantially.

however, each year they are discovered more and more efficient ways to manufacture solar panels (reduce costs) but unfortunately not much advancement in terms of energy production efficiency.

however, many universities are doing extensive research to incorporate nano tubes into the solar panels to exponentially increase the surface area exposed to the sun.

eventually we will get there

13. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Why not send electrons from the air into our iPads?

I don't think that's possible.