iPad iPad 4 worth $140 + iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by teknikal90, Oct 31, 2012.

1. teknikal90, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Hi guys,

sold my iPad 3 on Craigslist for $420. Didn't really go out to sell it, just put it up and it sold itself...seeing as I bought it three months ago brand new (also from CL) for $460, I just accepted the offer...
    Now I bought the new one. Didn't really get interested in the mini. But crap. It will cost me $560 with taxes...
    now im considering returning my iPad 4 and getting another iPad 3 - from craigslist/Apple refurbished - where ever, for around $400-$420

What do you guys think? is the new iPad worth $140 over the iPad 3?

2. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

$140 is not bad- do it! It would cost $300 to upgrade my loaded model.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

"Is it worth it" is very hard to answer with so little information. Like, do you use FaceTime? Do you already have an iPhone 5 or other lightning iOS device? Do you play demanding iPad games? A "yes" to any of those would make the iPad 4 significantly more appealing.

On the other hand, what is $140 worth to you? For some people, that's a dinner (or just the wine!). For others, it's all your discretionary spending for the month or more. I'm not judging, just saying, $140 is a big deal to some and not others. Likewise, the new iPad features will be important for some and not others.

4. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I understand.
    But what would you guys do lol?

For me, no I dont' have an iPhone 5. But I will get the next generation which will have lightning. So I figured I will have to make the change sometime.

I use it mainly as my main home computer. Internet browsing, emails, books. I barely touch my macbook now - (it stays in my music studio). But my incentive to upgrade in the first place was that I figured since I use it a lot, might as well get a really fast one. But the reviews say it's no different!

I do use Skype and Facetime. But again, reviews say it makes no difference (reading iPhone 5 review with facetime HD)

5. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

I already told you:

"Do it! Do it! Do it!"

6. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

No because for your needs, it will not be worth it. Just books, email, and web browsing? No need for a more powerful processor.

8. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

$140 to upgrade from the 3rd Gen to the 4 is a bit steep I would say. I sold my 16GB wifi iPad 2 for $330 last week and preordered the iPad 4, which came out to $530 with taxes. So I paid $200 to upgrade, which I don't consider so bad since my iPad was 2 generations old now. If I were you, I'd just stick it out with the iPad 3.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yup, there's nothing wrong with the iPad 3 unless video editing or intensive gaming is a concern.

11. urkel macrumors 68030

I got an Amazon trade quote for$575 the say before the announcement so I'm doing an iPad 3->4 upgrade for the wife and it'll cost us about $125. It's kind of a rip off since the 4 doesn't offer anything that she needs but with chargers in every room then she just wants to move everything to lightning.

----------

I was expecting the iPhone 5 to handle video editing in iMovie better but it's still barely usable even with the A6. So I'm really not buying into the benchmark hype becuse in the real world I'm not seeing a significant improvement.

12. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

$140 is a lot of money.

But thinking about it I get 7 months of extra warranty (the iPad 3 ends in March 2013). Apple care is $99... so 7/12 x $99 = $57

So the actual cost of the hardware upgrade is $80. With that I get a new processor (longer lasting - The A5 already got the iOS 6 upgrade. the A6 should last until iOS 8) and a new camera.

Maybe I'm just rationalising my bad decision making! hahah

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

But performance wise, it's not a good idea.

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Three strategies to consider:

1. Buy what you need and use it until it no longer does what you need it to do. Upgrade only if a new feature or update will substantially improve your ability to earn income or truly enhance your quality of life, or if it breaks out of warranty. Donate the old model to a charity for a tax deduction or give it to a family member.

2. Or, purposely stay one step behind the cutting edge. Hold off on getting a 4 until the 5 is released, and pick up a 4 for 60-70% of the MSRP from CL once everyone dumps their suddenly 'obsolete' models for the latest toy. Probably get applecare plus and some good accessories thrown in as well.

3. Find a good deal on a LTE mifi package (if necessary), and use the cloud and disk management to buy the cheapest wifi model. Higher end models usually take the biggest plunge in resale value, as prospective used purchasers would rather buy last years 16gb wifi for $400 ($100 off) rather than the top tier LTE model for $600 ($230 off), even though the latter is arguably the better deal.

The cutting edge bleeds green.

15. mac jones macrumors 68040

With the Wifi model on the road, I've found that Siri doesn't get a location fix with my iPhone hotspot. Just a heads up.

16. ercsliberty macrumors 6502