iPad 4G Help

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pazars, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Pazars macrumors newbie

Hello!
    I'm considering buying an iPad but I'm worried about the 4G LTE.
    The thing is that they always over-price iPads in my country but I'm lucky that I'm visiting USA next week so I could buy an iPad 2x cheaper.
    But...
    Mobile operators support 4G in my country so that isn't a problem. But will it work? I see only At&T and Verizon iPads. Can someone help and explain to me what should I do?

2. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

4G/LTE is only available to United States carriers. It won't be compatible with other country 4G/LTE installations. Either model will support 3G such as HSPA+ and WCDMA.

3. Pazars thread starter macrumors newbie

Even if I unlock it?

4. nick7138 macrumors member

iPads are always automatically unlocked, so you can change carriers as you please. With 4G, the radios inside the device are only compatible with certain spectrums that are used in North America. European and Asian countries all use a spectrum different from that in the US. All of the 4G iPads support the same North American spectrums, but nine support 4G elsewhere, even if you were to buy it in Europe. As a result, the only place you can use 4G, no matter where you buy the device from, is the US and Canada. You are still able to use 3G as you please around the world.

5. Pazars thread starter macrumors newbie

Will it somehow change in the future? Because for me display + 4G is worth it but without the 4G I might as well consider iPad 2.

6. nick7138 macrumors member

I would say it is highly unlikely for Apple to release a revised iPad for European 4G before the 4th generation comes out. The only time I can think of where Apple released a revised device in the middle of a release cycle was the Verizon iPhone 4.

7. Pazars thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked up UK's and France's Apple store and they seem to be selling iPad with 4G. I'm totally missing some information...