iPad 4G release in 2011?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CristobalHuet, May 19, 2010.

1. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Hey all,

my search for "4G" in this forum yielded zero results, oddly (and I rechecked after making this thread, still zero...hmmm), so I may as well start up this thread and ask. :p

Recently, AT&T said their 4G network would be available for commercial use in 2011: http://gizmodo.com/5468470/att-to-deploy-4g-lte-network-in-2011
    Rumour has it Verizon may have 4G this summer: http://socialmediaseo.net/2010/04/17/verizon-4g-speed/...Sprint already has 4G.

It's likely the iPad will get updated in early-mid 2011...do you think we'll see a 4G iPad? Maybe you guys are aware of the timetable for 4G better than I am. :)

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I "think" the 2ed gen iPad maybe 4G. Now what did that get you?:eek:

3. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

Just because 4G will be available doesn't mean that a 4G ipad will immediately be introduced. The first iphone wasn't 3G capable even though 3G was available at the time. Once the US carriers 4G footprints grow larger than just a handful of cities is when it'd make sense for Apple to start rolling out a 4G model.

4. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

there are alot more factors involved other than availability.

Sprints 4G network has been in some parts of the country for more than a year however, the first and only 4G phone is not being released until June (HTC EVO)

they look at things like battery life, which was a major reason that Jobs gave for the 1st iPhone to not have 3G. Apple is not too keen on going backwards. If the 4G chips have huge negative impact on the iPads battery, they will likely pass on it until either the chips consume less or the battery tech gets better.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Gotta love the Gizmodo article.

Wikipedia states LTE peaks at 100 Mbps, and real-world benchmarks I've seen show much lower performance (but even 12 Mbps average is really good).

6. msavwah macrumors 6502

With enough coverage 4g with fallback to 3G wouldn't be so far fetched.

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

8. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Sprint & Comcast own a piece of Clearwire aka "Clear" and use their network for 4G coverage.

9. DKatri macrumors 6502

Is there really and point in posting threads about the next iPad when the first gen still hasn't been released worldwide. In all likelyhood even apple don't know the answer to this question.
    At least wait until October/November time.