iPad 4G... what constitues as data usage?

RevolvingSheep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
I'm paying for the $30 3g data plan from AT&T. I might downgrade to the 250mb plan if I use under that, but I'll start with this.

My question is, what sorts of things eat up your data? Will simple web/email usage eat up data? What about watching Netflix movies on the go? I assume downloading apps and music will eat up data? How about playing multiplayer online games?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Anything that needs to connect to the internet for any reason will use data and count towards your overall usage.

qCzar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
SFBA, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Netflix will need 2GB for a movie, about.

There's a nifty data calculation tool on ATT's website, you might have to sign in to use it though.

luke.mac1

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm paying for the $30 3g data plan from AT&T. I might downgrade to the 250mb plan if I use under that, but I'll start with this.

My question is, what sorts of things eat up your data? Will simple web/email usage eat up data? What about watching Netflix movies on the go? I assume downloading apps and music will eat up data? How about playing multiplayer online games?

250mb is almost nothing over a month if you're going to surf regularly.
Once you throw streaming video into the mix your well and truly stuffed!

RevolvingSheep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Wow so if I watch a single Netflix movie, it will eat up 2/3 of my data for the month? That's rather crappy.