All iPads ipad 4g when owning iphone 5 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jeybonnet, Apr 21, 2013.

1. jeybonnet macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm about to get an ipad or ipad mini (not decided yet). But I'm not sure about getting the Cellular or WIFI only model, considering I have a iPhone 5 which could share the internet access.

Is this worth getting an ipad Cellular model?

thks

2. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

When you share Internet access (that is, IF your operator allows it), you drain the battery of your phone a lot faster. This is based on my own experience. If you are going to surf outside wifi-zones a lot, I recommend you to get a 4G model instead. I will do that on my next upgrade.

3. iLuvMyMacToo macrumors regular

For me being tied down with another contract just to use 4G on my iPad occasionally didn't seem economical or logical. I'm quite happy to tether my iPhone with my iPad when I need to (which isn't very often). There's usually a wifi hotspot somewhere around and I can imagine I'd find it annoying to be paying for a service each month that I wasn't getting my money's worth for.

4. 2IS macrumors 68030

With shared data plans now available (in my case anyway) I think it makes sense to go with the LTE model. At the time I purchased my 3rd gen ipad it required a seperate subscription so I opted for wifi only, kind of regret that decision now.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

AT&T gives you 100 when you sign up for av2 year plan. The makes it 30 more and 10 a month to add it to your data plan.

6. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

I didn't want to have to rely on finding wifi where ever I went, so I went with a cellular model. Also, to use the hotspot feature on my iPhone, I would have had to give up my unlimited data. Since I can turn the data off an on as I please, it was a no brainer to get the 4G/LTE model.

7. Richal macrumors newbie

A cellular model is more suitable for you since you want to share iphone's internet access.

8. 2IS macrumors 68030

Another benefit to LTE models is being able to locate it if it's lost/stolen.

9. maxosx macrumors 68020

Bar any highly unlikely changes, it appears the iPhone 5S (or whatever they call it) will retain the same narrow 4.0 display. After enjoying the 4.8" standard width display on my Samsung Galaxy for a year now, I'm flat out of patience waiting for Apple to catch up.

Being a strong Apple enthusiast, and enjoying both platforms I'm tired of avoiding the use of my tiny iPhone 5. The solution thats working, albeit a bit cumbersome is to toss my iPhone aside & use my Wifi & Cellular iPad mini as a substitute. Given the fact that I always carry an Android phone as well, if I need a phone, I have it. I do very little calling anyway.

Perhaps Apple will catch up by 2014 or 2015, then I'll try an iPhone again.

10. 2IS macrumors 68030

Did you reply to the wrong thread?

11. maxosx macrumors 68020

No, I did not.

I was simply sharing my solution, a way to avoid having two data plans when in my case the iPhone 5 is too tiny, too slow to type on as compared to a spacious display like the iPad mini. It's does everything a smartphone does except make calls. :)

12. Bear macrumors G3

How does that avoid 2 data plans since the Android phone would have a data plan as well?

13. maxosx macrumors 68020

One iPad mini w/data plan, an iPhone 5 w/data plan is two data plans.

One iPad mini with NO iPhone 5 equals just one data plan.

Nowhere in my post does it mention Android.

Perhaps there's a miscommunication of sorts here :)

(nor does the OP mention Android)

14. Bear macrumors G3

Actually you did mention an Android phone:

15. maxosx macrumors 68020

That was not directed at the OP, in that particular post I simply mentioned what I prefer for myself as I have in other posts.

I don't have two data plans, I have four. Not once have I complained about the cost. For me it's more than worth it. It's all about variety, choices and having the first hand experiences I enjoy :D

16. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I prefer the non LTe model as I myself use my iPhone 5 to tether as well. I am not worried about battery issues as my phone charges when connected to my stereo in my car and I keep a charger at home and at work so I am never worried about my phone dying.

The only reason I would go with a LTE model if it was the iPad Mini and I was going to use it in my car for Maps/GPS.

Other than that for my situations I do not need an LTE model.

Note* I have unlimited data and unlimited tethering with VZW.